See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Energy Omnibus bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill to implement comprehensive energy legislation.
- Adjusts energy reduction goals and performance requirements for federal buildings and for many new commercial and consumer products.
- Provides funding for energy efficiency programs for public buildings and low-income communities.
- Reauthorizes the Renewable Energy Production program to include incentives for renewable resource production.
- Includes a renewable fuels requirement to add five billion gallons per year of ethanol and other renewable resources to the nation's gasoline.
- Provides funding for existing and new coal-based research and development.
- Establishes a national center or consortium for clean power and energy.
- Creates a transportation fuel program involving alternative fuels for duel-fueled vehicles, fuel credits for medium and heavy duty dedicated vehicles, and lease condensates.
- Implements pilot programs that focuses on alternative fueled vehicles, fuel cell vehicles and hybrid vehicles.
- Allows for the construction of a natural gas pipeline from the Alaskan North Slope to the lower 48 States.
- Establishes energy production incentives that include natural gas production in the Gulf of Mexico and oil and gas leasing in the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska.
- Sets guidelines to improve the operation and reliability of electric transmission networks.
- Expands FERC's merger authority and requires review of elimination of duplication and onerous conditions under FERC's merger review authority.
- Prohibits the use of methyl tertiary butyl in motor vehicle fuel by December 31, 2014 but gives the President the authority to nullify this prohibition by June 30, 2014.