See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Firearms Manufacturers Protection Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would prohibit certain civil lawsuits against manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers of firearms and ammunition pertaining to acts of criminal or unlawful misuse of firearms.
- Requires criminal background checks on all firearms transactions at gun shows where at least 75 firearms are displayed for sale, excluding private residence or events funded and maintained by nonprofit hunting organizations (Sec. 2).
- Dismisses all pending actions, excluding lawsuits which involve the following (Secs. 3, 4):
- Negligence of gun sellers;
- Violations of existing state or federal law referring to the sale or marketing of firearms in which the violation was the probable cause of harm;
- Breach of contract or warranty linked to the purchase of the firearm; or
- Defects in the firearm or ammunition.
- Provides for a 10-year extension to the assault weapons ban (Sec. 5).
- Increases penalties for criminals using armor-piercing ammunition, and exempts qualified current and former law enforcement officers from state laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed handguns (Sec. 5).