See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Labor, HHS and Education FY 2006 Appropriations Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report that authorizes appropriations for the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and related agencies.
- Appropriates $219.74 billion for Medicaid grants to states.
- Appropriates $177.74 billion for Federal Hospital Insurance and Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds.
- Appropriates $28.62 billion for the National Institutes of Health.
- Appropriates $6.56 billion for health resources and services.
- Appropriates $5.88 billion for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Appropriates $3.32 billion for Child Support Enforcement and Family Support Programs.
- Appropriates $120 million in funding and grants for national abstinence education campaign.
- Appropriates $59.24 billion for Education, including $15.08 billion for Student Financial Assistance, $14.63 billion for Education for the Disadvantaged, $11.77 billion for Special Education during academic years 2006 and 2007, and $5.31 billion for school improvement programs.
- Appropriates $42.59 billion for related agencies, including $40.48 billion for the "Supplemental Security Income" (SSI) program, and $400 million for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting in 2008.
- Appropriates $13.17 billion for the Department of Labor, including $3.29 billion for state unemployment insurance and employment service operations, and $477.2 million for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Raises the maximum Pell Grant per student to $4,050 for 2006-2007.
- Prohibits funds to prevent public schools from implementing voluntary prayer and meditation programs (Sec. 303).
- Prohibits funding for research purposes related to the creation or destruction of human embryos (Sec. 509).