See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Foreign Operations and Export Finance Appropriation Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that appropriates $22.09 billion in funding for foreign operations and related programs for the fiscal year 2007.
- Appropriates $5.19 billion for the State Department, including $2.77 billion for the Global HIV/AIDS Initiative; $750.21 million for migration and refugee assistance; and $703.60 million for international narcotics control and law enforcement.
- Appropriates $4.45 billion for the Foreign Military Financing Program, including $2.34 billion for Israel; $1.3 billion for Egypt; $216 million for Jordan; and $90 million for Columbia.
- Appropriates $4.09 billion for the U.S. Agency for International Development, including $1.57 billion for child survival and health programs; $1.29 billion for development assistance; and $348.8 million for international disasters and famine assistance.
- Appropriates $2.65 billion for the Economic Support Fund, including $455 million for Egypt; $250.5 million for Jordan; $225 million for Afghanistan; $120 million for Israel; and $35.5 million for Lebanon.
- Appropriates $2 billion for the Millennium Challenge Corporation to monitor the activities of the Millennium Challenge Account, which provides development assistance to those countries that establish certain economic and human rights criteria.
- Appropriates $324.59 million for the Peace Corps.
- Prohibits any use of the funds for direct financial support to Saudi Arabia, Cuba, Libya, North Korea, Iran or Syria (Secs. 507, 589).
- Prohibits the use of funds to pay for abortions as a method of family planning, to motivate or coerce any individual to practice abortion, or perform involuntary sterilizations (Sec. 518).
- Bars bilateral assistance funds to nations that support terrorism or provide a haven for terrorists, unless the President justifies the use of aid for national security or humanitarian reasons (Sec. 526).