See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Food Industry Obesity Lawsuits
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that prohibits lawsuits against anyone engaged in the food industry on claims that the food caused obesity or weight gain to the plaintiff.
- Exempts from lawsuits anyone who manufactures, markets, distributes, advertises, or sells a qualified product in the food industry or trade association (Sec. 3).
- Prohibits such lawsuits in this act in federal or state courts (Sec. 3).
- Dismisses any pending civil liability covered in this act upon this bill's enactment (Sec. 3).
- Maintains an individual's right to bring a lawsuit to court for a known violation of state or federal statues for false marketing, advertising or labeling of food of which the plaintiff's relied on such information led to injury, obesity or weight gain (Sec. 4).
- Specifies that any permitted lawsuits must clearly state which specific federal or state statutes were allegedly violated as well as the facts that allegedly caused the injury (Sec. 4).