See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: U.S.and India Nuclear Cooperation Act of 2006
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that allows the President to exempt India from current restrictions under the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 after certain stipulations have been met and confirmed.
- Permits the trade of nuclear items and materials between the U.S. and India, a country currently not part of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) (Sec. 2).
- Provides that the following conditions must be met (Secs. 2 & 4):
- Civilian and military nuclear facilities, materials, and programs are kept separate;
- There exists a moratorium on nuclear testing;
- India actively works with the U.S. to control nuclear reprocessing technology and to prevent the spread of enrichment; and
- India maintains an active democratic government system that allows for cooperation in non-proliferation movements with the U.S.