See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that prohibits the transportation of a minor across state lines to obtain an abortion without the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
- Allows for exemptions to the law if the life of the minor is in danger or if a court in the minor's home state waives the parental notification required by that state (Sec. 2).
- Allocates fines and/or up to one year imprisonment of those convicted of transporting a minor over state lines to have an abortion (Sec. 2).
- Permits any parent or legal guardian to pursue civil action against those who violate parental notification laws (Sec. 2).
- Specifies that neither the minor nor her guardians may be prosecuted or sued for a violation of this act (Sec. 2).
- Penalizes doctors who knowingly perform an abortion procedure without obtaining reasonable proof that the notification provisions of the minor's home state have been satisfied (Sec. 3).
- Requires abortion providers in states that do not have parental consent laws and who would be performing the procedure on a minor that resides in another state, to give at least a 24 hour notice to the parent or legal guardian (Sec. 3).