See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Firearms Manufacturers Protection Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that provides liability protection for manufacturers, dealers or importers of firearms or ammunition products, as well as their trade associations, for harm caused by criminal or unlawful misuse.
- Calls for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought (Sec. 3).
- Exempts lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime (Sec. 4).
- Exempts lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect (Sec. 4).
- Requires all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices (Sec. 5).
- Prohibits the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations (Sec. 6).