See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Prohibiting the Possession of Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment that bans certain semiautomatic assault weapons .
- Bans the manufacture, sale, or possession of nineteen semiautomatic assault weapons (SAW) and other firearms that carry similar characteristics.
- Allows for the sale and possession of SAW if lawfully owned prior to the enactment of this bill.
- Declares it illegal for an individual to sell SAW to another person who has not completed a form prescribed by the Secretary of the Treasury.
- Prohibits the sale or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices that contain more than ten rounds of ammunition.
- States that provisions do not apply to the U.S. government and retired law enforcement officers who own SAW.
- Terminates provisions ten years after enactment.