See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Patients' Bill of Rights Amendment
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to table an amendment that would expand health care services for patients enrolled in managed care plans.
More Info About this Vote
- Stipulates that women do not need a referral from their primary care provider to receive care from obstetricians and gynecologists.
- Requires insurers to provide emergency services to covered patients without prior authorization and whether or not the facility is a preferred provider.
- Requires that patients be granted access to specialists without a referral if their condition warrants it.
- Prohibits health insurers from discriminating against participants, enrollees, or beneficiaries.
- Calls for claims to be reviewed by external review boards and independent medical specialists to determine whether an insurer should have paid for a particular service and what reparations they may owe to the patient.
- Requires health care plans to follow the joint determination of doctor and patient on the period of time deemed necessary for a hospital stay following a mastectomy, lumpectomy or lymph node dissection for the treatment of breast cancer.
NOTE: A SENATOR MAY MOVE TO TABLE ANY PENDING LEGISLATION, THUS HALTING FURTHER CONSIDERATION. A "YEA" VOTE IS IN SUPPORT OF HALTING FURTHER CONSIDERATION, AND A "NAY" VOTE IS IN SUPPORT OF FURTHER CONSIDERATION. TABLING MOTIONS ARE OFTEN USED TO KILL LEGISLATION.