See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Highway Trust Fund Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill to authorize funds for federal-aid highways, highway safety programs, and transit programs, and for other purposes.
- Authorizes appropriations out of the Highway Trust Fund through FY 2009 for various federal aid-highways systems and programs (Sec. 1101).
- Establishes the Equity Bonus Program to revise federal highway funding minimum guarantee provisions for each state, and appoints the Department of Transportation as the lead federal agency in the environmental review process for a project (Sec. 1104).
- Directs the Secretary to conduct an ongoing intelligent system transportation program to research, develop, and operationally test and advance nationwide deployment of intelligent transportation systems as a component of the U.S. surface transportation systems (Sec. 2201).
- Modifies provisions governing the development and revitalization of U.S. public transportation systems and provides appropriations (Secs. 3001-3045).
- Reauthorizes and modifies the following federal-aid programs: the surface transportation program, the highway trust fund and excise tax credit program and the hazardous materials transportation program (Secs. 3043, 4401-4447, 5001-5003).
- Amends federal rail transportation law to authorize appropriations for FY 2004 through 2009 for Amtrak for operating expenses (Secs. 4601-4603).