See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Stem Cell Research Act of 2007
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to conduct and support research that utilizes human embryonic stem cells.
- Amends the Public Health Service Act to state that regardless of the date in which stem cells were derived from a human embryo, the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall conduct and support embryonic stem cell research (Sec. 2)
- Amends the Public Health Service act to establish the following ethical requirements for research (Sec. 2):
- The stem cells have to be derived from human embryos that have been donated to in-vitro fertilization clinics for the purpose of fertility treatments and are deemed in excess of the clinical need for individual treatment;
- It must be determined that the embryos would never be implanted in a woman, and therefore would be discarded; and
- The individual who donated the embryos did so without receiving any financial or other inducement to make the donation.
- Amends the Public Health Service Act to state that the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall conduct and support research to develop techniques for isolation, derivation, production, or testing of non-embryonic stem cells that are producing all or almost all cell types in the body (Sec. 3).