See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: 527 Reform Act of 2005
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires specific political 527 organizations to follow restrictions of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 and ends limits on party spending for candidates during a general election.
- Adds 527 organizations to the definition of a political committee, therefore capping individual contributions at $5,000 (Sec. 2).
- Excludes 527 organizations whose activities focus exclusively on candidates for state or local office, or ballot initiatives (Sec. 2).
- Limits the amount a single individual can donate to the non-Federal account of a 527 organization that also has a Federal account to $25,000 (Sec. 3).
- Repeals limits on party expenses for a candidate in general elections (Sec. 4).
- Allows challenges to this law on constitutional grounds to be heard by three judges in the United State District Court for the District of Columbia (Sec. 6).