See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Departmental Appropriations for Defense, Security, and Hurricane Recovery
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment which appropriates close to $20 billion to various departments for their efforts in defense, security, hurricane recovery, and other causes, and which raises the minimum wage and modifies taxes for businesses.
- Appropriates the following:
- $12.42 billion for the Department of Defense, including $10.81 billion for non-civil operations and $1.61 billion for civil operations;
- $1.79 billion for the Department of Veterans Affairs, including $1.34 billion for medical related expenses;
- $1.76 billion for the Department of Homeland Security;
- $906.02 million for the Department of Transportation;
- $713 million for the Department of Health and Human Services;
- $422.40 million for the Department of State;
- $257.50 million for the Department of Agriculture;
- $193.44 million for the Department of Justice;
- $136.19 million for the Department of the Interior; and
- $170.40 million for the Department of Commerce.
- Increases the federal minimum wage to $5.85 per hour on the 60th day after the enactment of HR 2206, $6.55 12 months after that 60th day, and $7.25 24 months after that 60th day (Sec. 8102).
- Enacts business tax modifications, including such adjustments as extending the work opportunity tax credit to 2011, extending and increasing expensing for small business, waiving alternative minimum tax limits on work opportunity credit and credit for taxes paid on employee tips, and other adjustments (Secs. 8211, 8212, 8214).
More Info About this Vote
NOTE: THIS IS A SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT, WHICH REPLACES THE ENTIRE TEXT OF THE LEGISLATION WITH A NEW TEXT. THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE SUBSTITUTE BILL TEXT DIFFERS FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE TEXT CAN VARY GREATLY.