See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Human Cloning Prohibition Act of 2007
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that bans human cloning, as defined by the implantation of a cloned egg into a uterus.
More Info About this Vote
- Declares that human cloning illegal (Sec. 2 (a)).
- Defines human cloning as the implantation of a cloned egg into a uterus or the functioning equivalent of a uterus (Sec. 2 (a)).
- States that knowingly transporting or shipping the product of a cloned egg cell is illegal (Sec. 2 (a)).
- Sets a criminal penalty of fines and up to 10 years imprisonment (Sec. 2 (a)).
- Sets a civil penalty of the greater of $10 million or twice the amount of monetary gain made from the cloning (Sec. 2 (a))
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.