See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Law Enforcement Review of Z Visa Applications
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass an amendment that would require information from applications on Z visas, which are renewable 3 year work permits, to be turned over to law enforcement under certain circumstances.
- Requires the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of State to provide information on Z visa applications to law enforcement, intelligence, or national security agencies in connection with criminal investigations or civil violations if these agencies request the information [Sec. 604 (b)].
- States that no Federal agency or bureau may use the information on Z visa applications for any purpose other than to make a determination on the application [Sec. 604 (a)].
- States that no Federal agency or bureau may use the information on Z visa applications to make a publication that makes individual applicants identifiable [Sec. 604 (a)].
- States that no one except sworn officers, employees, or contractors of entities approved by the Department of Homeland Security can examine individual applications [Sec. 604 (a)].
- Provides that the restrictions above are no longer applicable if an application has been denied and all methods of appeal have been exhausted [Sec. 604 (c)].
- Provides that the restrictions above are not applicable in removal proceedings or criminal or civil cases involving a person who has been approved for Z status if these proceedings concern a violation of law committed or discovered after the approval [Sec. 604 (c)].
- Allows information regarding whether or not the applicant has been convicted of a crime to be used for immigration or law enforcement purposes [Sec. 604 (d)].
- Allows information from a Z visa application to be evaluated for fraud, and allows evidence garnered from these evaluations to be used in investigations or prosecutions, or to deny or terminate immigration benefits [Sec. 604 (e)].
- Provides a fine of up to $10,000 for violation of the regulations set forth here [Sec. 604 (g)].