See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Border Fence and Customs Appropriations
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment that appropriates $3 billion to place border fences and customs requirements along the United States and Mexico land border.
- Requires that within 2 years of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security must establish 100% operational control of the international land border between the United States and Mexico (Sec. 1002[a(2)]).
- Requires the United States Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol to hire, train, and report for duty 23,000 additional full time agents (Sec. 1002[a(3)]).
- Requires the United States Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol to build a 700 linear mile fence, install 300 miles of vehicle barriers, install 105 ground-based radar and camera towers, and place 4 unmanned aerial vehicles and supporting systems along the United States-Mexico international land border (Sec. 1002[a(3)]).
- Requires the Secretary of Homeland Security to detain all undocumented immigrants apprehended crossing the international land border between the United States and Mexico, unless specifically mandated by humanitarian circumstances (Sec. 1002[a]).
- Allocates any remaining funds to maintain control over international land and maritime borders, improve employment eligibility verification, and increase removal and detention of immigrants who have overstayed their visas and immigrants who have reentered the United States without proper documentation (Sec. 1003).