See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Iraq Troop Reduction Amendment
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to begin reducing the number of U.S. forces in Iraq within 90 days of the enactment of this bill, with the exception of a limited number of U.S. forces to be engaged in targeted counterterrorism, the training of Iraqi forces, and the protection of U.S. personnel and infrastructure.
More Info About this Vote
- Requires the Secretary of Defense to begin reducing the number of U.S. forces in Iraq within 90 days of the enactment of the bill and to complete the transition to a more limited presence within nine months of the enactment of the bill.
- Requires that the missions of U.S. forces remaining in Iraq be limited to:
- Protecting U.S. and Coalition personnel and infrastructure;
- Training, equipping, and providing logistic support to the Iraqi Security Forces; and
- Engaging in targeted counterterrorism operations against al Qaeda, al Qaeda-affiliated groups, and other international terrorist organizations.
- Encourages the appointment of an international mediator in Iraq, under the authority of the United Nations Security Council, to engage political, religious, ethnic, and tribal leaders in Iraq in a political process, in conjunction with "sustained engagement" with the international community to bring stability to Iraq.
NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS.