See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Military Commissions Act of 2006
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that establishes rules and procedures for military commissions.
- Authorizes the President to establish military commissions to try detained enemy combatants (Sec. 3).
- Specifies that enemy combatants are not able to invoke rights under the Geneva Convention (Sec. 3).
- Stipulates that no one may be forced to testify against themselves, statements obtained through torture are inadmissible, and allows "statements obtained before enactment of Detainee Treatment Act of 2005" to be used in certain circumstances (Sec. 3).
- Creates rules, guidelines and procedures for the trial and sentencing phases of military commissions (Sec. 3).
- Prohibits courts, justices, or judges from hearing or considering writs of habeas corpus or any other action filed by or on the behalf of detained enemy combatants (Sec. 7).