See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Trade and Globalization Act of 2007
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that extends and expands trade adjustment assistance.
- Allows service sector workers and public workers to be covered by trade adjustment assistance (TAA) (Sec. 101-102, 141).
- Increases the amounts that can be appropriated for training under TAA from $220.00 million to $440.00 million for the 2008 and 2009 fiscal years, and to $660.00 million for all subsequent fiscal years (Sec. 127).
- Increases the income tax credit a TAA recipient can claim on payments for health coverage from 65 percent of the amount paid by the individual to 85 percent of the amount paid by the individual (Sec. 141).
- Declares that to be eligible for the health insurance tax credit in the year 2010 and afterwards, an individual must be continuously eligible starting in December 2009 or earlier (Sec. 141).
- Extends the TAA program until 2012 (Sec. 167).
- Delays until 2010 the scheduled 2007 decrease of the federal unemployment tax paid by employers from 6.2 percent to 6.0 percent (Sec. 403).
- Provides incentives for businesses to invest in areas designated as manufacturing redevelopment zones (Sec. 501).
- Increases the notice employers must give before closing a manufacturing plant from 60 days to 90 days (Sec. 602).