See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Defense Authorizations Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that sets authorization limits for Defense appropriations in fiscal year 2008 at $688.60 billion.
- Allows the President to grant immunity to Iraq for certain cases brought in U.S. courts for money damages due to state sponsored terrorism if the immunity is deemed to be in the national security interest of the U.S. and it will promote the reconstruction of Iraq (Sec. 1083).
- Increases the basic monthly pay for members of the uniformed services by 3.5 percent starting January 1, 2008 (Sec. 601).
- Permits veterans who are 100 percent disabled to receive all of both their retirement pay and their disability pay (Sec. 642).
- Provides that drugs prescribed under the TRICARE pharmaceutical program will be treated as a part of the Department of Defense procurement, and that these drugs are then subject to the pricing restrictions applicable to the procurement of drugs by federal agencies (Sec. 703).
- Establishes the National Security Personnel System as a human resources management system for the Department of Defense, and requires that this system allows employees to practice collective bargaining through labor organizations of their own choosing (Sec. 1106).
- Provides that the Inspector General of the Department of Defense and Inspectors General for Iraq Reconstruction and Afghanistan Reconstruction shall develop plans for auditing contracts made by the Department of Defense and other federal agencies (Sec. 842).
- Authorizes $187.14 billion for Iraq and Afghanistan operations.