See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Consolidated Natural Resources Act of 2008
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that extends federal immigration laws to the Northern Mariana Islands, grants the Northern Mariana Islands a delegate in the U.S. House, contains water projects around the United States, designates a wilderness protection area in the state of Washington, and creates heritage areas.
More Info About this Vote
- Establishes a 106,000 acre wilderness preservation known as the "Wild Sky Wilderness" in the state of Washington (Sec. 101).
- Applies United States immigration laws and immigration-related labor laws to the Northern Mariana Islands (Sec. 702).
- Establishes a commission to study the possible creation of a National Museum of the American Latino (Sec. 333).
- Creates the Abraham Lincoln National Heritage Area in Illinois (Sec. 443).
- Creates the Niagara Falls National Heritage Area in New York (Sec. 423).
- Provides the Northern Mariana Islands with a non-voting delegate in the United States House of Representatives (Sec. 711).
- Increases the powers of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial Commission, which is charged with establishing a permanent memorial for Former President Eisenhower (Sec. 332).
- Expands the Minidoka Internment National Monument in Idaho to include the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Memorial site in Baingridge, Washington (Sec. 313).
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.