See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Assistance for Mexico and Central America for Anti-Drug Programs (Merida Program)
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that provides assistance for anti-drug programs in Mexico and Central America through 2010 and authorizes $1.54 billion.
- Assists Mexico in their anti-drug operations by providing equipment and/or training in counternarcotics and countertrafficking; port, airport, and related security; operational technology; and public security and law enforcement (Sec. 113).
- Assists Central America in their anti-drug operations by providing equipment and/or training in counternarcotics, countertrafficking and related security, public security and law enforcement (Sec. 213).
- Assists Mexico in institution building, rule of law, anti-corruption, increasing transparency in the judicial system, human rights and development (Sec. 123).
- Assists Central America in improving police academies, courts management, witness and victim protection programs, prosecutor and judge protection programs, regional juvenile justice reform, prison management, gang member rehabilitation programs, community policing, and the short-term lending of U.S. government personnel to the CICIG (United Nations International Commission Against Impunity in Guatemala) (Sec. 222).
- Authorizes $1.11 billion for Mexico over a three-year period to help combat drug trafficking and to strengthen Mexican law enforcement (Sec. 115, 124). - Authorizes $405 million for countries in Central America over a three-year period to help combat drug trafficking and to help strengthen law enforcement (Sec. 215, 223).