See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Electronic Communications Preservation Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires the establishment of new regulations relating to the preservation of Presidential and federal agency electronic records.
- Requires that the Archivist of the United States develop regulations governing the preservation of Presidential and federal agency electronic messages, including (Secs 2 & 3):
- Regulations that require the electronic capture, management, and preservation of electronic messages;
- Regulations that require electronic messages to be made accessible through electronic searches; and
- Regulations that establish a process to certify that electronic records management systems used by the President and federal agencies meet functional requirements.
- Requires the Archivist of the United States to annually certify whether the records management controls established by the President meet applicable requirements (Sec. 3).
- Requires that, "to the extent practicable", the Archivist of the United States establish requirements for the capture, management, and preservation of electronic records other than standard electronic messages (Sec. 2).