See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Campaign Finance Reform bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that changes provisions about soft money, increases contribution limits, and bans donations by non-citizens.
More Info About this Vote
- Prohibits labor unions, national banks and corporations from collecting any dues or fees to be used for political activities from stockholders and employees without separate, prior, written, and voluntary consent.
- Prohibits non-citizens, including those legally in the United States, from contributing to candidates for federal election and penalizes contributing non-citizens 200 percent of the amount provided.
- Bans cash contributions greater than $100.
- Requires any person who conducts a federal election poll to disclose the identity of the person paying the expenses.
- Establishes a 5 state Voter Eligibility Pilot Confirmation Program.
- Increases maximum contributions from individuals to candidates from $1,000 to $2,000.
- Raises maximum contributions from individuals to national political parties from $20,000 to $60,000.
- Increases the aggregate annual campaign contribution limit of individuals from $25,000 to $75,000.
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.