See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Defense Authorizations Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that sets authorization limits for Defense appropriations in fiscal year 2009 at $539.29 billion.
More Info About this Vote
- Authorizes $67.54 million for the construction of the Ballistic Missile Defense, European Mid-Course Radar site (sec. 2401).
- Provides for a 3.9 percent raise in base pay for all military personnel instead of the annual pay raise based on the Employment Cost Index (sec. 601).
- Increases the mandatory retirement age of reserve commissioned officers from 60 to 62 (sec. 514).
- Increases the maximum period of reenlistment for members of the armed forces from six years to eight years, with the exception of members who have served at least ten years and reenlist for an unspecified period (sec. 531).
- Prohibits any officer or employee of the Department of Defense from interfering with the ability of the Legal Counsel to give independent legal advice to the Joint Chiefs of Staff (sec. 591).
- Requires the president to report to Congress on the status of forces agreements between the United States and Iraq (sec. 1212).
- Requires the president to establish and implement a strategy for United States-led Provincial Reconstruction Teams to develop the capacity of the Iraqi government and civilian institutions to assume increasing responsibility for reconstruction (sec. 1213).
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.
NOTE: THIS IS A SUBSTITUTE BILL, MEANING THE LANGUAGE OF THE ORIGINAL BILL HAS BEEN REPLACED. THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE SUBSTITUTE BILL TEXT DIFFERS FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE TEXT CAN VARY GREATLY.