See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Washington DC Voting Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that gives the District of Columbia a voting seat in the House of Representatives.
- Creates a new congressional district for the District of Columbia, but prohibits the District from gaining additional seats in the US House or any seats in the US Senate (Sec. 2).
- Permanently increases the size of the House of Representatives from 435 to 437 members (Sec. 3).
- Creates a new congressional district in Utah for the 112th Congress (Secs. 3, 4).
- Provides guidelines for judicial review of this act (Sec. 8).
- Prohibits the Federal Communications Commission from requiring broadcasters to present opposing viewpoints under the “Fairness Doctrine” (Sec. 10).
- Prevents the District of Columbia from using previous acts to restrict the possession and purchase of firearms by residents (Sec. 203, 211).
- Repeals the District of Columbia’s bans on semiautomatic firearms and handgun ammunition (Sec. 204, 206).
- Repeals the District of Columbia’s firearms registration and penalties associated with owning an unregistered firearm (205, 208).
- Repeals the District of Columbia’s law against self-defense in the home (Sec. 207).