See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: National Volunteer Program Expansion
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that establishes national community service organizations and provides funding for community service organizations and projects.
- Authorizes funding to promote, operate, and expand service-learning programs in elementary and secondary schools through training, curriculum development, program assessment methods, and community outreach (Sec. 1201).
- Allows the Secretary of Education to designate up to 25 Campuses of Service, or institutions of higher education where service-learning is an important component of the curriculum to receive a government award to develop or disseminate service-learning models (Sec. 1203).
- Establishes Youth Engagement Zones to involve middle and high school students in community service, including Summer of Service programs (Sec. 1204).
- Expands AmeriCorps openings over 8 years, allowing for up to 250,000 AmeriCorps volunteers by fiscal year 2017 (Sec. 1301).
- Establishes the Education Corps to improve schools, the Healthy Futures Corps to serve unmet health needs within communities, the Clean Energy Corps to work on energy projects, the Veterans Corps to work with veterans and their families, and the Opportunity Corps to work with the economically disadvantaged (Sec. 1302).
- Raises the amount of the full-time national service educational award to the maximum amount of a Federal Pell Grant (Sec. 1404).
- Aims to increase the percentage of disadvantaged youths in the National Civilian Community Corps to over 50 percent by 2012 (Sec. 1503).
- Expands the National Civilian Community Corps' mission to include projects on energy conservation, environmental stewardship or conservation, infrastructure improvement, urban and rural development, or disaster preparedness needs (Sec. 1506).
- Establishes the Serve America Fellowship to assist with areas of national need, as determined by the State Commissions on National and Community Service (Sec. 1805, 1606).
- Establishes Silver Scholarships and Encore Fellowships and expands the Foster Grandparent Program, Senior Companion Program Grants, and the National Senior Service Corps to encourage community or national service among citizens age 55 and older (Secs. 1805, 2142, 2143, 2144, 2145).
- Establishes the Social Innovation Fund, National Service Programs Clearinghouses, and Volunteer Generation Fund to help local groups train, develop, and maintain volunteers (Secs. 1807, 1808).