David Valadao's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
On The Ballot: Running, Republican for U.S. House (CA) - District 21
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
David Valadao has failed to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2020 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2020.
- "Since implementation of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act earlier this year, American's have been able to keep more of their hard-earned money and employers have been able to expand their businesses and hire even more workers." He continued, "We have seen the impacts of our tax reform right here in the Central Valley and by making these tax cuts permanent, we can continue to create jobs and help middle-class families." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 1 - Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. (votesmart.org)
- "Our nationâs financial situation requires that we carefully examine the future of programs our seniors depend upon like Medicare and Social Security. Without improvements, both Social Security and Medicare will be unable to fully meet the promises made to the next generation of retirees and will burden future generations with reduction in services and crushing tax increases. Both programs risk complete collapse before our children and grandchildren ever receive a single benefit. This is simply unacceptable to David, who believes we must act in order to strengthen and preserve these vital programs." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 10% by Alliance for Retired Americans. (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "George Floyd and his family deserve justice for his unnecessary and tragic death. As many stand against inequality and remember George Floyd, itâs important these protests remain focused on bringing needed change to our country without destroying communities. I support every" (twitter.com)
- "The FY2017 Budget includes $10.5 billion for the F-35 program, and yet the services have still identified a number of unfunded requirements to include 5 F-35As forthe US Air Force, 2F-35Cs for the Navy, and 2 F-35Bs and 2 F-35Cs for the US Marine Corps. I would urge that the committee fully fund this program and support the unfunded requirements. These F-35 aircraft will be critical to ensuring that when operating in a contested airspace our men and women can return home." (votesmart.org)
- "Our military is suffering from years of slashed funding. We need to have the strongest, smartest, and best equipped military possible. Support increased military spending to better protect America." (www.facebook.com)
- Rated 95% by Center for Security Policy. (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "There is no greater responsibility in Congress than to provide resources for our national defense. This Subcommittee is always thoughtful about the decisions it makes. Even in these times of fiscal austerity, we must ensure that our men and women in uniform receive the training and equipment they need to defend the freedoms we as Americans enjoy every day." (votesmart.org)
- "Small businesses are the backbone of our nationâs economy and needless regulations and a greater tax burden make it harder for them to hire." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 22 - Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act. (votesmart.org)
- Rated 75% by Council for Citizens Against Government Waste. (votesmart.org)
- "Equally as important, the Omnibus increases and protects funding for critical programs my constituents rely on. The bill raises funding for Impact Aid by $86 million, provides $2.3 billion in new funding to help keep our schools safe, rebuilds America's crumbling infrastructure with an additional $21.2 billion investment, and boosts funding for the National Institutes of Health by $3 billion to work towards curing life-threatening conditions and diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer's." (votesmart.org)
- "Without sufficient transportation infrastructure, Central Valley farmers would be unable to ship their goods throughout the world. Our nation's transportation infrastructure plays an integral role in the United States' economic growth as it facilitates the safe movement of people and goods from place to place, making it incredibly critical we repair our nation's aging roads, bridges, and tunnels." (votesmart.org)
- "The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act fundamentally changes our system to deliver meaningful tax relief to Americans across the country â especially those in the Central Valley. #TaxReform." (twitter.com)
- Voted in favor of HR 1 - Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. (votesmart.org)
- "As a result of the new #taxreform law, MEC Aerial Work Platforms, a local Fresno County business, was able to give their employees bonuses & are hiring even more workers. The new tax code is already creating jobs right here in the Central Valley." (twitter.com)
- "Responsible spending reductions that reduce the national debt will strengthen the U.S. economy and create economic opportunity for families in the Central Valley. These spending cuts, coupled with the implementation of a fairer tax code and strong incentives to work and invest, will lower the tax burden for all Americans, while providing increased support for necessary federal programs." (votesmart.org)
- "Today's government spends, borrows, and taxes its people too much." (votesmart.org)
- "Small businesses and their workers need help in the Central Valley. It is unacceptable for Congress to yet again delay emergency aid for those in need. Our representatives from both sides of the aisle need to put politics aside and find a compromise. Small businesses are in dire need, and it is imperative Congress approves this funding now." (www.facebook.com)
- "It is critical that small businesses can keep their employees on payroll amid this crisis. As of today, small business owners can apply for the #PaycheckProtectionProgram which provides fully forgiven loans to keep workers on payroll." (www.facebook.com)
- Voted in favor of HR 5 - Student Success Act. (votesmart.org)
- "The "one-size-fits-all" approach to education often favored by Washington, D.C. bureaucrats only interferes with our local schools. The United States must cut the red-tape tying the hands of local educators. Parents and educators should have the resources and flexibility available to implement individualized K-12 educational strategies that meet the needs of their community and ensure a high-quality educational experience for every student." (votesmart.org)
- "I believe the one-size-fits-all approach to education often favored by those in Washington only interferes with our local schools. The legislation passed today, will cut red-tape tying the hands of local educators and will give parents and teachers the resources and flexibility they need to ensure every student receives the best education possible." (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "As Members of Congress representing communities in every region of the United States, we urge the EPA to continue to acknowledge that the RFS has significant pitfalls and costs in future rulemaking." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 100% by American Energy Alliance. (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "The United States must take an "all of the above" approach to securing energy independence. In the short term, this means reducing red tape and ending frivolous litigation that blocks the development of America's energy resources. We can address the volatility of today's energy prices by expanding access to North American energy resources, which is why I support projects such as the Keystone Pipeline. In the long term, securing energy independence means expanding American renewable energy sources including: solar, wind, hydro and nuclear power and promoting emerging domestic energy technologies. In addition, we must lower our national demand for energy by supporting innovation to improve our economy's energy efficiency." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of H Con Res 119 - Expressing the sense of Congress that a carbon tax would be detrimental to the United States economy. (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "The original intent of the Clean Air Act was for individual states to regulate their own electricity systems. This new regulation is tantamount to a federal government power grab that would impose onerous carbon emissions standards at and outside the fence line of existing power plants. The CPP would require approximately a 30% reduction in carbon dioxide emissions by the year 2030; a goal that will have a negligible impact on global temperatures. These costs will ultimately be borne by consumers, many of whom could see double-digit percentage increases in their monthly electric bill." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of H Amdt 585 - Prohibits the Social Cost of Carbon from Being Included in Agency Determinations. (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 1628 - American Health Care Act of 2017. (votesmart.org)
- "David supports repealing ObamaCare and replacing it with a market-based approach to healthcare reform that provides individuals with competitive choices and addresses the needs of those unable to afford healthcare insurance." (votesmart.org)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- "While we must work to reduce the occurrence of illegal border crossings, it is unacceptable to separate young children from their parents. This is exactly why passage of a compromise solution is absolutely necessary." (twitter.com)
- "Congressman Valadao stated, âThis bill began the process of repairing our broken immigration system from the ground up while also strengthening our border and providing Dreamers with a pathway to citizenship. It is incredibly disappointing the bill failed to pass in the House.â He continued, âIt is clear, the only way to implement comprehensive reform legislation is if Republicans and Democrats put aside political objectives and work together to repair our broken system.â" (votesmart.org)
- "Fixing our nationâs broken immigration system shouldnât be a partisan issue. Thatâs why, I signed a discharge petition to force the House of Representatives to vote on critical immigration policy. We must repair our system, protect DACA recipients, and secure our borders." (twitter.com)
- "H.R. 6136 began the process of repairing our broken immigration system while strengthening our border & providing a solution for Dreamers. Itâs incredibly disappointing the bill failed but itâs clear the only way forward is through bipartisan compromise." (twitter.com)
- "David supports a reasonable and responsible pathway to citizenship for those wishing to enter our country and those already here. This will allow many undocumented immigrants to come out of the shadows, get involved in their children's education, find employment, and raise their families." (votesmart.org)
- "Following the vote, Congressman Valadao stated, âMy number one priority is the safety of the American people -- something the current Iran Nuclear Agreement does not guarantee.â He continued, âNot only should we stop this agreement, we must not reward the Iranian regime for their dangerous nuclear pursuits. Lifting sanctions would only encourage Iran to continue engaging in illicit activities that put the entire world in danger.â" (votesmart.org)
- Rated 95% by Center for Security Policy. (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "We are hopeful your two-track strategy will convince Iran to change course and abandon its pursuit of nuclear weapons. None of us desires military conflict, but as you yourself have acknowledged, we must keep all options on the table to prevent this dangerous regime from acquiring nuclear weapons." (votesmart.org)
- "Most importantly, any deal must prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons. An agreement that falls short of this fails to serve its inherent purpose. Unfortunately, in its current form, the Iranian nuclear agreement will not achieve this integral goal." (votesmart.org)
- "While I am pleased to see the House of Representatives pass the U.S.- Mexico -- Canada Agreement today, I am disappointed such a critical victory for Central Valley farmers was delayed for more than a year. Each day this deal was delayed, TJ Cox failed countless farmers, ranchers, businesses, and workers in his district." (votesmart.org)
- "Today, I sent a letter to the U.S. Trade Representative urging the Administration not to implement broad tariffs that will have a long-lasting negative impact on hardworking Central Valley farmers who are already struggling." (twitter.com)
- Rated 0% by Public Citizen. (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "Ensuring our dairy farmers are paid fairly for their product and have access to foreign markets will create jobs, promote innovation, and expand opportunities for all Americans, especially those right here in the Central Valley." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.