Bryan Steil's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
- U.S. House (WI) - District 1, Republican
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Bryan Steil has failed to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2020 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2020.
- Rated 100% by National Right to Life Committee (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "I signed onto @SteveScalise's discharge petition to bring the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act to a vote on the House floor. Babies born alive must have the same rights as a newborn child. #LetUsVote." (twitter.com)
- "Happy to see @realDonaldTrumpaddressing the #MarchForLife. While I crisscross my district today hosting five town halls, I want to take a moment to send my support for the courageous individuals marching for life in our nationâs capitol." (twitter.com)
- "Proud to have the endorsement of @WRTL. Protecting and valuing life is an essential duty and responsibility of elected officials. IÃ¢ÂÂm honored to have Wisconsin Right to LifeÃ¢ÂÂs support." (twitter.com)
- "The people of Southeast WI want to keep moving forward. They want lower taxes, lower healthcare costs, and more high wage jobs." (twitter.com)
- "In Congress, I'll always fight to keep taxes low so more money stays in the pockets of Wisconsin families." (twitter.com)
- "My opponent wants to raise taxes and grow government - I want you to keep more of your hard-earned money right here in Southeast Wisconsin. #TeamSteil #WI01Debate" (twitter.com)
- "Wages are rising as a result of the tax cuts. Businesses have been increasing wages, investing more, and paying out bonuses because of the tax cuts. #TeamSteil #WI01Debate" (twitter.com)
- Signed a letter stating: "We look forward to continuing to work with you to further strengthen the Medicare Advantage program and ensure millions of seniors have access to comprehensive, affordable health coverage choices." (votesmart.org)
- "In Congress, Iâll fight for the financial well-being of Social Security and Medicare to keep our promises to seniors." (twitter.com)
- Rated 20% by the Alliance for Retired Americans (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "Social Security and Medicare are promises we must keep. Social Security and Medicare provide for the most vulnerable citizens and allow seniors to have a safe retirement." (twitter.com)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- "Iâm a cosponsor of the JUSTICE Act. I encourage you to watch Senator Tim Scottâs speech. Weâre frustrated it wonât be getting a vote in the Senate." (www.facebook.com)
- "However, next week, when we reach the funding deadline, we will likely vote on a continuing resolution, a CR. A CR is not a thoughtful approach to support our servicemembers. A CR maintains current spending levels for the military and continues this cycle of uncertainty for our servicemembers. While better than a shutdown, there are real-world consequences to simply passing a CR: The Air Force is short 2,100 pilots. A CR does not provide the Air Force with new funding to train new pilots to fill these positions. A CR prevents the Army from building 4,000 housing units for its members. A CR forces the Navy to cancel ship maintenance periods and undermines critical training programs. This is a dangerous funding cycle that jeopardizes our servicemembers' safety and their ability to protect our country. Once again, our Federal spending process is broken, and it has gotten us into this mess. Let's stop the partisan politics. Let's focus on supporting our military. And let's work to fix the broken spending process here in Washington." (votesmart.org)
- "1 week until military $ runs out. Weâll likely vote to kick the can down the road at current spending levels. The consequences of not passing a budget? Air Force pilot shortage continues. Army can't build 4,000 military family housing units. Navy training programs are undermined" (twitter.com)
- "After providing our military the resources they need, ISIS has lost 98% of its territory and is on the run. We must prioritize spending to defend the U.S. #Campaign2018" (twitter.com)
- "We need to ensure our men and women in uniform have the funding necessary for them to be safe and effective in carrying out their mission." (steilforwisconsin.com)
- "The spending bill that I opposed will add $300 billion to the deficit. This practice has gone on far too long. I continue to work with my colleagues to improve our budget process and bring fiscal responsibility back to Congress." (twitter.com)
- "My opponent wants to increase Big Government spending. Iâm fighting to reign in federal spending so you can keep more of your paycheck." (twitter.com)
- "Our budget process is broken and Washington has a spending problem." (twitter.com)
- "Out of control spending in Washington has gone on far too long. Thatâs why I voted against the budget last month and will continue to fight for fiscal responsibility." (twitter.com)
- "This week is National Small Business Week. We must support policies that allow small businesses to grow and flourish. #SmallBusinessWeek" (twitter.com)
- "While the CARES Act is far from perfect, it provides relief. This bill provides free coronavirus testing for Americans and ensures those on the front linesâour doctors, nurses, and health professionalsâhave the supplies they need." (twitter.com)
- "The relief package we passed ensures health care professionals have the funding they need to combat the Coronavirus while also protecting American workersâ paychecks.The legislation is far from perfect, but swift action was necessary to provide support for American families." (twitter.com)
- "America is fighting a war on two fronts: a public health crisis and an economic crisis. While far from perfect, the CARES Act provides needed relief: free testing, supplies for hospitals, protection of workers' paychecks, and assistance to those who have lost their jobs." (votesmart.org)
- "Every child deserves the opportunity for a great education regardless of their zip code. I trust parents to know what school is right for their children. Thatâs why Iâm thrilled to join @Mike_Pence today in Wisconsinâs capitol to support school choice." (twitter.com)
- Rated 25% by the National Education Association (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "Federal mandates too often increase costs rather than improve education. I want to return control and decision making to the state and local level where it is most effective." (steilforwisconsin.com)
- Rated 85% by the American Energy Alliance (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "Heavy-handed federal regulations drive up energy costs. Instead, we must encourage technology developments to address climate change." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 21% by the National Conservation Voters (justfacts.votesmart.org)
- "To reduce carbon emissions, we must hold China and India accountable. We also need a technology-based approach," (votesmart.org)
- Rated 92% by National Rifle Association. (votesmart.org)
- "Our Founding Fathers showed great wisdom in drafting our Constitution. As someone who believes in the Constitution as it is written, I will protect our rights. The Second Amendment provides citizens with the right to bear arms. I will defend law abiding citiznes' Second Amendment rights." (steilforwisconsin.com)
- "The Second Amendment is under attack from those on the left. Iâm proud to continue standing up for our right to bear arms and protect our families." (twitter.com)
- ""We need to protect people with pre-existing conditions, but that doesn't mean you don't go in to fix the disaster of Obamacare." Thanks for having me on this morning, @JayWeber3 @newstalk1130! #TeamSteil" (twitter.com)
- "Instead of talking about these problems, I will work to find solutions. We need reforms that make health care more affordable and more accessible. We need patients and doctors in control, not unelected bureaucrats in Washington, D.C." (steilforwisconsin.com)
- "Obamacare has failed." (twitter.com)
- Voted against HR 6201 - Families First Coronavirus Response Act. (votesmart.org)
- "Itâs critical we move forward and build the wall. Itâs critical to provide the national security our country needs," (steil.house.gov)
- "My opponentâs ridiculous proposal of abolishing ICE would jeopardize our national security. We need to secure the border." (twitter.com)
- "Steil, who represents the 1st Congressional District in Congress, voted against the legislation to terminate the national emergency and thought Trumpâs allocation of funds for a border wall was appropriate." (steil.house.gov)
- "Our immigration system is broken. We need to fix the immigration and shape it to match workforce needs in Wisconsin and the U.S." (twitter.com)
- "The Iranian Regime's attacks on our military must not go unanswered. Placing targeted sanctions on Iran's Supreme Leader and key government officials is the right decision. We cannot allow Iran to build nuclear weapons. The United States must stand strong and continue to put pressure on Iran's leaders as they are the world's largest state sponsor of terrorism." (votesmart.org)
- "Steil has been an outspoken proponent of increasing pressure on Iran and ensuring Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon. Steil introduced the Stop Evasion of Iran Sanctions Act giving the Secretary of the Treasury critical tools to prevent European companies from avoiding U.S. sanctions by inappropriately trading with Iran through a backchannel known as INSTEX. Steil also penned an op-ed in the Washington Examiner about the need to hold Iran accountable during the coronavirus pandemic." (votesmart.org)
- "The world is a safer place today thanks to a successful mission targeting the leader of ISIS. Iâm thankful for the members of our intel community, special operations forces and military members, @realDonaldTrump, and everyone else who helped ensure the success of this operation." (twitter.com)
- "The Iranian Regimeâs attacks on our military must not go unanswered. Placing targeted sanctions on Iranâs Supreme Leader and key government officials is the right decision." (twitter.com)
- Voted against HR 550 - No War Against Iran Act. (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 5430- United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement Implementation Act. (votesmart.org)
- "The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement will help manufacturers and farmers sell their goods, increase workersâ wages and grow their industries. USMCA is a win for Wisconsin and itâs time for democrat leadership to bring it for a vote." (twitter.com)
- "The USMCA will help Wisconsin's farmers. Our farmers will see increased access to markets. Our products will be able to compete on the global stage. Our workers will have the opportunity to succeed." (votesmart.org)
- "We need to pass #USMCA. It is a win for Wisconsin and America. Thanks to the @VP for coming to highlight the importance of passing USMCA. " (twitter.com)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.