Mario Diaz-Balart's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
Office: U.S. House (FL) - District 25, Republican
On The Ballot: Running, Republican for U.S. House (FL) - District 25
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Candidates who qualify for the General Election will be invited to take the 2020 Political Courage Test.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2020.
- Signed a letter stating: "Thank you for your strong pro-life commitment and the robust pro-life policies advanced by your Administration over the past two years. We share your belief that every human life is precious, sacred, and deserving of protection." (votesmart.org)
- "I've always advocated for those who cannot defend themselves. Proud to have voted to permanently ban taxpayer funded abortions. #prolife" (twitter.com)
- "I proudly supported these two pieces of legislation that help protect the sanctity of life. In the case of a failed abortion, the child must immediately be transported and admitted to a hospital to receive medical care. As H.R. 3504 states, failing to do so will result in criminal charges against those involved. These babies are able to feel pain just like we do. Justice must also be taken against those who commit the horrific crimes that we have heard about in the recent videos that exposed Planned Parenthood's vicious tactics. In order to make sure that the unborn are not treated like parts for sale, H.R. 3134 places a one-year freeze on both mandatory and discretionary funding for Planned Parenthood. This funding moratorium will allow enough time for a detailed Congressional investigation. These bills are just another way we can protect life and be a voice for those without one." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 92% by National Right to Life Committee. (votesmart.org)
- "Today's report is an indicator of the success of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Individuals continue to enter the job market, walking away from dependence and poverty and finding themselves self-sufficient and independent. Thanks to tax reform and its effect on our economy, the unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in over 18 years. With this quarter's GDP forecast to expand at above 4 percent, the American people are confident in our bustling economy and the pro-growth policies I am proud to champion with my House Republican colleagues. It is clear that Democratic proposals to raise taxes would hurt the American people and reverse these gains." (votesmart.org)
- "Filing your taxes shouldn't be an arduous and burdensome task; the bill passed today creates a simpler, fairer tax code for individuals, protecting their hard-earned dollars #TaxReform" (twitter.com)
- "It has been over 30 years since our country has seen significant tax reform. Today we will make history and change that. I am proud to stand with my colleagues in voting for a bill that will allow Americans to keep more of what they earn. The average middle class family of four will see a savings of more than $2,000, a substantial amount that will go a long way as many Floridians continue to rebuild and recover from hurricane season. Americans should be able to save more of their hard-earned tax dollars, and this legislation does just that. Tax reform will incentivize the economy, which will allow folks to keep their jobs, increase wages, and create more opportunities in the American job market." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 1 â Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "We look forward to continuing to work with you to further strengthen the Medicare Advantage program and ensure millions of seniors have access to comprehensive, affordable health coverage choices." (votesmart.org)
- "It also provides necessary entitlement reform by strengthening the Social Security program and the Disability Insurance Trust fund, and protecting seniors from a devastating 50% increase to their Medicare Part B premiums." (votesmart.org)
- "Congress has takes a necessary step to this goal by updating and reforming Medicare. This important program can provide seniors with adequate healthcare options, as well as provide an affordable and comprehensive prescription drug plan which will reduce the cost of medicine by up to twenty-five percent. I also support legislation to provide affordable access to healthcare for small business employees, many of which are forced to go without health insurance." (mariodiazbalart.house.gov)
- Rated 0% by Common Cause. (votesmart.org)
- "FY17 House Budget strengthens our defense + continues to fund our military at levels to keep America safe." (twitter.com)
- "I am proud to join my colleagues in voting to support our courageous troops and fiercely protect our national security. The Defense Appropriations bill includes funding to add ships, submarines, and aircraft, strengthening our fleets and military readiness around the world. It also increases funding for base operations, in a continued effort to rebuild our military. Additionally, we fully funded the Defense Health Program, delivering quality care to our troops, military families, and retirees. A 2.6 percent pay increase for our brave servicemen and women is provided in this legislation, the largest pay raise they have received in nine years." (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "Preserving the agreement in the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013 that required increased spending to be spread evenly between defense spending and non-defense discretionary accounts which have both been harmed by the ongoing sequester;" (votesmart.org)
- "The United States faces the most dangerous and complex strategic situation in decades. We must ensure that our armed forces have the robust resources they need to defend our country and protect U.S. national security interests. The NDAA is a key step toward improving our readiness against our enemies, modernizing our forces, and providing staunch allies like Israel with American support. Most importantly, this legislation is a reminder to our men and women in uniform that they have the full support of Congress and this administration. I am committed to continue working with my colleagues to make sure the U.S. military has the tools it needs to defend our stars and stripes in the 21st century." (votesmart.org)
- "Having served on the House Budget Committee, I strongly believe that Congress must adhere to the principles of fiscal discipline. Too often, hard-earned taxpayer dollars are wasted on fraudulent and duplicated federal programs. Congress must work to make these programs more efficient, or simply terminate them to ensure better results for beneficiaries and greater savings for taxpayers." (mariodiazbalart.house.gov)
- "Today, I voted for the FY16 House Republican budget. This budget helps to reign in Washington's out of control spending, while prioritizing funds to necessary programs." (votesmart.org)
- "Today, the House of Representatives fulfilled its promise to the American people by passing pro-growth tax reform. Filing your taxes shouldn't be an arduous and burdensome task; this legislation creates a simpler, fairer tax code for individuals, protecting their hard-earned dollars. American families deserve a tax code that allows them to keep more of what they make; for Floridians, that means keeping $1,945 more of their wages. It also creates more than 50,000 new jobs in the Sunshine State, encouraging business owners and revitalizing the job market." (votesmart.org)
- "Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart (FL-25) today joined President Donald Trump, Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, and local business owners for a tax reform roundtable at Bucky Dent Park in Hialeah. The roundtable highlighted the impact of tax reform since the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was passed and signed into law in December. Local business owners shared their personal stories, discussing how they have been able to invest in their businesses and their employees since the law was enacted." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 1 - Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. (votesmart.org)
- "For the last few months, our country has taken unprecedented measures to address this pandemic while upholding the best interests of the American people. This bill provides immediate relief to those who have lost their jobs, businesses struggling to stay open and keep their employees working, and the thousands of brave healthcare providers at the forefront of this global outbreak. Since I tested positive for COVID19 and remain quarantined, I was not able to vote; however, I would have voted in favor of this bill." (votesmart.org)
- "Tomorrow, the House will vote on the #CARESAct, which provides immediate emergency relief for the American people as we continue to combat #COVID19. I fully support this legislation, & Iâm proud of the unprecedented measures our nation has taken during this time of uncertainty." (twitter.com)
- Voted in favor of HR 5 - Student Success Act. (votesmart.org)
- Rated 89% by National Association of Manufacturers. (votesmart.org)
- "The House has once again acted on a bipartisan basis to pass legislation to approve the Keystone XL Pipeline, which will create thousands of jobs, move the United States closer to energy independence and strengthen our national security. This project will contribute billions of dollars to communities across the nation and bolster our economy. Building the pipeline would decrease our dependency on foreign oil, continuing to protect our national security." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 9% by Environment America. (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of H.Amdt.1098 - Prohibits District of Columbia from Implementing Certain Firearm Laws. (votesmart.org)
- "By announcing his executive order yesterday, President Obama is targeting the rights of millions of law-abiding citizens. Instead of clearing the path for serious mental health reform or supporting law enforcement, he is making a political gesture to make a so-called legacy out of his last year in the White House. The brave men and women who risk their lives for our communities deserve to be protected too, which is why I am a proud co-sponsor of H.R. 814, the Thin Blue Line Act, a bill that ensures those convicted of murdering a first responder face the harshest penalty for such a malicious act. I am pleased that Speaker Ryan has made mental health reform a priority for the 114th Congress. I am proud to be a co-sponsor of H.R. 2646, the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act, which makes real reforms to our nation's mental health system. I believe in taking tangible steps that will not only support our law enforcement and truly reform the mental health system, but also work towards preventing senseless violence that claims innocent lives." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 93% by National Rifle Association. (votesmart.org)
- "The executive action to ban bump stocks is a welcome announcement. Back in October, I joined my Congressional colleagues in calling for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to re-evaluate bump stocks and similar mechanisms, which were approved by the bureau during the Obama administration. This is an important step and we must look at other measures to stop violent acts like those in Las Vegas, or more recently in South Florida." (votesmart.org)
- "Whether we like it or not, Obamacare is collapsing and on its way out. Already, in two of the three counties I represent, the Affordable Care Act only offers one provider, with no choice or competition for consumers. In 2016, Miami-Dade County had six providers and next year, will drop to three providers. Collier and Hendry Counties are worse off; they, like forty-five other Florida counties, are left with just one provider. Knowing the people I represent could very well lose their coverage, just like Iowa residents did yesterday when their state marketplace collapsed, is disturbing. It would be irresponsible for Congress not to act in order to prevent this from happening." (votesmart.org)
- "Whether we like it or not, Obamacare is collapsing. We need a better solution for ALL Americans. #AHCA" (twitter.com)
- Voted in favor of HR 6201 - Families First Coronavirus Response Act. (votesmart.org)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- "We need comprehensive immigration reform. We need to strengthen our border security, and we need to address the immigration issues inside our borders. One without the other will resolve nothing." (mariodiazbalart.house.gov)
- "The DACA program serves children and young adults who came to the United States at the choice of a parent or guardian. I proudly stand with DREAMers and strongly disagree with the decision to end a program that has greatly benefited thousands of young people who are an integral part of our country. Congress must act on a legislative solution before DACA expires. We should not punish these young people for a decision that was never theirs to make. I have said time and time again that our country's immigration system is broken, and I remain committed to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to obtain a legislative solution that will permit DREAMers to legally continue to contribute their talents and abilities to our great nation." (votesmart.org)
- "We should not punish these young people for a decision that was never theirs to make. #DACA #dreamers" (twitter.com)
- Signed a letter stating: "We are hopeful your two-track strategy will convince Iran to change course and abandon its pursuit of nuclear weapons. None of us desires military conflict, but as you yourself have acknowledged, we must keep all options on the table to prevent this dangerous regime from acquiring nuclear weapons." (votesmart.org)
- "In a time where we face nuclear threats from enemies like North Korea and Iran, the legislation increases funding for the Department of Energy's nuclear weapons program to $13.9 billion." (votesmart.org)
- "I strongly support the Trump Administration's withdrawal from the reckless and dangerous Iran deal, a serious threat to our national security that finances global terrorism. I voted against the deal in 2015 because it did nothing to prevent Iran's development of missiles, nor would it permanently end its nuclear weapons program. As I said after that vote, the Iran deal paved the way for a dangerous state sponsor of terrorism to achieve what it wanted most -- nuclear weapons, and the means and funds to deliver them." (votesmart.org)
- "Tonight, President Trump took a firm stance and decisively punished the Assad dictatorship for its use of horrifying chemical weapons on innocent people. Bashar al-Assad has mercilessly murdered his own people with weapons so terrible that the international community has banned them for almost a century. Tonight's strike was ordered to ensure chemical warfare remains a banned weapon. I also stand with the President in his condemnation of the Russian and Iranian regimes for their support of the Syrian despot still torturing his citizens." (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "Working with our allies and partners, we urge you to maintain and increase pressure on Iran and Russia to constrain their destabilizing activities. America must continue economic and diplomatic efforts to counter Iran's support for Hezbollah and other terrorist groups as well as Russia's support for the brutal Assad regime. We encourage full implementation of sanctions authorized in the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), a broadly supported bipartisan bill that you signed into law. Clear and sustained American action and close coordination with our allies and partners can send an important message of resolve to malign actors in the region." (votesmart.org)
- "I commend our troops for their effectiveness in last night's military operation. The Assad regime has terrorized the Syrian people, and unlike the previous administration, President Trump will not tolerate Assad's egregious actions. I applaud President Trump for his stance against those who would use these horrifying weapons." (votesmart.org)
- "This bill would impose tough sanctions on a hateful group that has spread violence and spawned extremist movements throughout the Middle East. This designation is long overdue, and I look forward to working with the incoming administration and the appropriate committees to ensure that this bill becomes law. We have an incoming president who appreciates the threat of terrorism and has vowed to defeat it. Designating the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist organization is an important step in defeating violent extremists." (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "We appreciate your efforts to correct global overcapacity of steel and aluminum and shore up domestic manufacturing, and we stand ready to assist you in your efforts to revitalize trading relationships with our allies to strengthen our nationâs standing both at home and abroad." (www.rubio.senate.gov)
- Voted in favor of HR 8 - North American Energy Security and Infrastructure Act. (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "We support your efforts to combat the long standing problem of steel and aluminum overcapacity, which has been exacerbated by Chinese overproduction, and we agree that extraordinary measures should be considered to force the People's Republic of China (PRC) to adhere to the international, rules-based trading system created after World War II." (www.rubio.senate.gov)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.