Maria Cantwell's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
- U.S. Senate (WA) - Jr, Democratic
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Maria Cantwell has failed to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2018 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2018.
- "I have fought to preserve a womenâs right to choose as well as protect access to vitally important health care services.Â I will continue to fight any attempt by President Trump to roll back the clock on women's reproductive health." (www.cantwell.com)
- "Woman's Right to Choose, Even if Raped â Support" (www.cantwell.com)
- "Today's U.S. Supreme Court decision in Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt is a decisive victory for women's health and constitutional rights. The decision affirms that a deceptive Texas law with the express purpose of gutting access to safe, legal abortions is not only harmful to women and families, but is clearly unconstitutional. Much work remains to ensure all women can access compassionate and personalized reproductive health care where they live." (votesmart.org)
- "Maria gets "Cheers" from @thecolumbian's editorial board for calling for a permanent sales tax deduction for #WA " (bit.ly)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- Signed letter stating "As you work to prepare any fiscal year 2017 appropriations bills or continuing resolutions, we respectfully request that you reject any language that would limit the Securities and Exchange Commission's (SEC) ability to develop, propose, issue, finalize, or implement a rule requiring public companies to disclose political spending to shareholders. We write to highlight the importance of excluding any such language because as you know, the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 regrettably included language doing just that." (votesmart.org)
- Signed letter stating "The Supreme Court's 2010 decision in Citizens United v. FEC fundamentally changed our nation's campaign finance laws by allowing unlimited and unchecked corporate spending on campaign ads and various other political communications--a decision with which we fervently disagree. However, notwithstanding our disagreement with the Court's holding, the decision clearly recognized shareholder and public interest in the disclosure of political spending." (votesmart.org)
- "Maria has worked to ensure that Washington has a modern, efficient and reliable transportation network that supports future economic growth." (www.cantwell.senate.gov)
- "On Tuesday @SenSanders and I teamed up against GOP Sens. Cruz & Scott on the GOP Corporate Tax Breaks plan. Check it out here: . Retweet if you agree that the #GOPTaxBill is not the answer." (bit.ly)
- "We are here today because the Park Service plans to almost triple the entrance fees at the 17 most visited and most iconic national parks across the country -- including Mt. Rainier and Olympic," said Senator Cantwell. "As corporate tax breaks are also being discussed, I don't know why park fees then have to be raised. To me this price increase is unconscionable." (votesmart.org)
- "I am a strong supporter of STEM programs (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics), because our future success will require skilled scientists and engineers." (www.cantwell.com)
- "In 2007 Maria cosponsored and helped pass the America Creating Opportunities to Meaningfully Promote Excellence in Technology, Education and Science (COMPETES) Act, which invested in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs for American students and bolstered research in these fields. Maria also cosponsored a bill that extended and strengthened the COMPETES Act in 2010." (votesmart.org)
- "Maria is a Senate leader on supporting cutting-edge biofuels research and expanding clean energy tax incentives that have helped spur industry investment in clean energy jobs in Washington state and around the country." (www.cantwell.senate.gov)
- "I've worked to grow Washington's leadership in new solar, wind, biofuel and fuel cell jobs by promoting renewable energy over fossil fuels, and maintaining fuel efficiency for cars." (www.cantwell.com)
- "On April 19, 2018, Senator Cantwell introduced legislation to protect American coasts from catastrophic oil spills. The Clean Coast Act would codify common-sense safeguards, including the Well Control Rule, that were finalized by the Department of the Interior in 2016." (votesmart.org)
- "After over $65 billion of damage and bipartisan Congressional oversight hearings on the Deepwater Horizon tragedy, new protections were put in place to make sure this type of disaster never happened again," said Senator Cantwell. "Today Interior is trying to ignore those protections. They are creating an unbelievable liability for taxpayers by ignoring safety." (votesmart.org)
- "I believe in health care for all.Â I support universal coverage, and thatâs why Iâm fighting every day for all of our fellow citizens to have access to affordable, high-quality health care." (www.cantwell.com)
- "I fought to stop President Trump from stripping health care from 750,000 Washingtonians and eliminating protections for pre-existing conditions.Â I also support improvements to the Affordable Care Act,Â like expansion of the Basic Health Plan, to lower premiums and out-of-pocket expenses." (www.cantwell.com)
- Signed letter stating "As your Committee considers the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Fiscal Year 2018 Appropriations bill, we respectfully seek a reduction in funding for President Trump's detention beds and deportation force, and ask that no funds be made available for a costly and unjustified border wall." (votesmart.org)
- "I will fight for humane, rational and constructive Immigration policies. We are, after all, a nation of immigrants and I havenât forgotten that." (www.cantwell.com)
- Signed a letter stating "We ask that the Appropriation Committee work with use to craft the precise language that will preserve state law regarding marijuana regulation until we can establish a long-term framework." (www.scribd.com)
- Signed letter stating "We respectfully request that you uphold the DOJ's existing policy regarding states that have implemented strong and effective regulations for recreational marijuana use and ask that the Cole Memorandum remain in place. It is critical that states can continue to implement these laws under the framework of the Cole Memorandum. In addition, we request that state and local elected officials, and public health and safety officials, be afforded an opportunity to comment on any shift in policy from that expressed in the Cole Memorandum, to avoid disruption of existing regulation and enforcement efforts. We appreciate your immediate attention to this request." (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "We would like to commend your nonproliferation efforts that have substantially aided international security. The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) between the P5+1 and Iran has increased regional and global stability while providing a potential framework for future agreements. We believe the final Nuclear Security Summit to be hled in Washington later this month provides and opportunity to highlight and discuss important initiatives to further nonproliferation and disarmament objectives." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.