Joe Donnelly, Sr.'s Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Joe Donnelly, Sr. has failed to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2018 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2018.
- "I stand ready to work with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle on a plan that reduces spending yet does not unfairly burden working- and middle-class families, seniors, and those most in need while millionaires receive even more tax cuts." (votesmart.org)
- "Given our continued economic challenges, now is the time to keep tax rates low. The last thing our economy can afford is more uncertainty as the fiscal cliff approaches." (votesmart.org)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- "I am concerned about how recent Supreme Court decisions, including Citizens United, are impacting our elections and electoral process. In the wake of these decisions, unprecedented spending by special interest groups is obscuring and overshadowing what should matter most in elections: the candidates' ideas and positions on the issues." (votesmart.org)
- Endorsed by End Citizens United (votesmart.org)
- End Citizens Untied "We can â and should â overturn Citizens United [â¦]" (endcitizensunited.org)
- "There are pressing needs to repair Indiana roads and bridges and ensure that transit systems continue to run safely and efficiently. Without question, the best solution is a long-term reauthorization of federal highway and transit programs [â¦]" (votesmart.org)
- "Hoosiers rely on highways and roads every day, from going to work to taking their kids to school. By ensuring the Highway Trust Fund has sufficient resources for the next few months, we will help continue projects throughout Indiana and protect Hoosier jobs." (votesmart.org)
- Voted against H.R. 1 "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" (votesmart.org)
- "I had high hopes that tax reform would include policies aimed at encouraging companies to invest in American jobs and penalize companies that ship jobs to other countries. This bill has neither the carrot to encourage investment in American workers, nor the stick required to address the outsourcing of jobs to foreign countries." (votesmart.org)
- "Proud to follow in Birch Bayh's footsteps on the 45th Anniversary of Title IX to fight for equal rights in education and across society." (twitter.com)
- "The EPA's move towards undercutting biofuels is short-sighted and totally misses the mark. At a time of international tumult, we should be supporting this renewable, American energy, not undermining it." (votesmart.org)
- "Joe strongly believes that we need to adopt an all-in approach to our nation's energy policy." (votesmart.org)
- "From wind to oil, solar to natural gas, to coal and Indiana biofuels like ethanol and biodiesel, we need to pursue every resource to increase our energy independence." (votesmart.org)
- "This rule seems designed to establish by regulation the 'cap and trade' plan that I voted against in 2009. We need to find a better way to protect our environment without disproportionally shifting the burden onto all Hoosier families." (votesmart.org)
- "In my experience, no party has it 100 percent right all the time. That is why I'm so independent: why I voted against cap and trade and why I voted for the Keystone oil pipeline." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of S. Amdt 4750 "Fix Gun Checks Act of 2016" (votesmart.org)
- Rated 100% by Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (votesmart.org)
- Rated 10% by Gun Owners of America (votesmart.org)
- "I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment and am proud to stand up for all law-abiding Hoosiers who exercise their right to keep and bear arms [â¦] however, too many individuals with criminal records or serious mental illnesses are getting guns by exploiting loopholes in the current system and, in the process, endangering the lives of others and the rights of law-abiding gun owners." (votesmart.org)
- "I have opposed and will continue to oppose privatization of Medicare or turning it into a voucher system. If my colleagues, Republican or Democratic, have constructive ideas that would strengthen Medicare or Medicaid, count me in, but if they want to break promises to our seniors or take away coverage and increase premiums for families, count me out." (votesmart.org)
- "Access to affordable, quality health care is an important issue that affects all Hoosiers. For far too long, too many middle class families and seniors feared that one medical emergency could bankrupt their families. The Affordable Care Act addresses many of these challenges." (votesmart.org)
- "I'm pleased that today's announcement will ensure that hundreds of thousands of Hoosiers can continue to access health care coverage through HIP 2.0, which was made possible by the Affordable Care Act." (votesmart.org)
- "Like all Hoosiers, I believe citizenship is a privilege, and I have long argued that effective immigration reform requires strong borders [â¦]" (votesmart.org)
- USA Today "We need a border security strategy that includes the infrastructure, technology, equipment, and personnel necessary to secure our borders [â¦]" (www.usatoday.com)
- Rated 25% by Federation for American Immigration Reform (votesmart.org)
- "By strengthening our borders and ending de facto amnesty, I think we also strengthen our state and our country's economic future." (votesmart.org)
- "Upending existing protections for the nearly 10,000 young people in Indiana who have come forward, registered, and have been working here legally for several years isn't the path we should take." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 17% by National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (votesmart.org)
- "We must show the American people and our partners and allies around the world that we have a comprehensive strategy to address the Kim regime's nuclear weapons program, and I look forward to reviewing the Administration's plan." (votesmart.org)
- "America's attention is focused intently on North Korea's nuclear program, and each day seems to bring more information on the Kim regime's continued pursuit of nuclear warheads and new missiles to carry them to our shores. [â¦] A changing security environment means we must take stock of our nuclear posture and ensure our forces are properly configured." (votesmart.org)
- "We must show the American people, our servicemembers in the region, and our allies around the world that we are serious about confronting the threat from the Kim regime." (votesmart.org)
- "Before any further escalation, President Trump and leaders at the Pentagon need to come to Congress with a clear strategy for the path forward." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.