Kelly Ayotte's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Kelly Ayotte has refused to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2016 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2016.
- "Kelly understands that high taxes and burdensome federal regulations discourage investment and innovation. She wants to cut job-killing taxes in order to unleash real growth." (votesmart.org)
- "The president's budget is yet another tax-and-spend plan that calls for more than $2 trillion in tax increases and would add $8.5 trillion to our $18 trillion debt over the next decade." (votesmart.org)
- "The Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act of 2015 would: [â¦] Expand resources to identify and treat incarcerated individuals suffering from substance use disorders by collaborating with criminal justice stakeholders and by providing evidence-based treatment." (votesmart.org)
- "This bipartisan legislation includes important steps to improve treatment for those struggling with addiction, increase prevention efforts, ensure law enforcement has greater access to tools to fight drug abuse, support those in recovery, and develop best practices for treatment, intervention, and pain management." (votesmart.org)
- "Strengthening our roads, highways, and bridges is a priority for New Hampshire and the nation, and I supported the Senate's bipartisan, long-term highway bill that would provide states and contractors the certainty they need to begin new projects and hire workers. I also worked to include provisions specifically focused on New Hampshire transportation priorities - like preventing drug-impaired driving, allowing the establishment of state infrastructure banks, and protecting motorcyclists' rights." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of H.R.22 "Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act" (votesmart.org)
- "By spending beyond our means, we're rapidly ceding our fiscal autonomy to Chinese bankers and foreign financiers, many of whom don't share our priorities or values." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of S.Amdt.2573 "Tax Hike Prevention Act of 2012" (votesmart.org)
- "Kelly also backs a simpler, fairer tax code that lowers taxes for families and small businesses. Our tax code isn't competitive, and reforming it will help incentivize companies to bring back trillions of dollars currently parked overseas and keep good jobs here at home." (votesmart.org)
- "We need to simplify our tax code, make it fairer, and bring down rates for individuals and businesses so we can keep jobs here at home." (www.facebook.com)
- "I believe education decisions are best made locally, including decisions about school curriculum and how education dollars are spent. While its goals of accountability were very important and laudable, No Child Left Behind, unfortunately, imposed a one-size-fits-all regime on every school in every State in this country." (votesmart.org)
- "With two kids in school, Kelly is deeply invested in a better education for all of our children. She believes that education decisions are best made locally -- not in Washington. That's why she backed bipartisan education reform that returns control to the local level, lets states and local school districts decide which standards make sense for their students, and gives parents a stronger voice in the way their kids are educated." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 50% by the League of Conservation Voters (votesmart.org)
- "All renewable, clean, and sustainable energy sources, such as wind, solar, hydropower, geothermal, and biomass should be allowed to compete on a level playing field â without Congress picking winners and losers in the marketplace." (votesmart.org)
- Signed a pledge stating "[â¦] I will oppose any legislation relating to climate change that includes a net increase in government revenue." (americansforprosperity.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "[...] the EPA is pursuing job-killing greenhouse gas regulations that, like the failed cap-and-trade legislation, will serve as an energy tax on every consumer." (www.moran.senate.gov)
- "She believes the ability to carry a firearm is an individual protected civil right under the Second Amendment and that the right to self defense is a basic human right." (votesmart.org)
- Endorsed by the National Rifle Association (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of S.Amdt.4720 "Prohibits the Transfer of Firearms to Suspected Terrorists" (votesmart.org)
- "I applaud the Administration's efforts today to make it easier for states to comply with the law requiring the submission of certain mental health records into the NICS system to ensure that those who are adjudicated dangerously mentally ill are prohibited from purchasing a firearm." (votesmart.org)
- The Hill "I support repeal, absolutely. But the political reality is, right now thatâs not going to happen." (thehill.com)
- National Review "Convene a group of bipartisan leaders to address health care concerns in this country, because this is not working." (www.nationaljournal.com)
- Voted in favor of H.R.3762 "Restoring Americans' Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act of 2015" (votesmart.org)
- "We need to stop the flow of illegal immigrants, and we need to bring undocumented people out of the shadows to separate those seeking economic opportunity from those seeking to harm us (who must be deported)." (votesmart.org)
- "Before any of these 11 million could earn a green card, they would go to the back of the line, not receive means-tested federal benefits and Obamacare subsidies, and they would be required to pay fines, pay taxes, and pass background checks, learn English, and secure a job." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of S.744 "Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act" (votesmart.org)
- "In order to reduce the flow of ISIS foreign fighters from Syria that threatens not only Europe but potentially the United States, it is essential that we work with Turkey to further tighten its border with Syria-but it is also critical that the administration redouble its efforts to quickly eliminate the "Manbij Pocket' in Syria that provides ISIS with its last significant access to the border with Turkey and its easiest means to export terrorism. It is long past time for the administration to take the fight fully to ISIS and destroy them so they can no longer carry out these attacks against our allies or our homeland." (votesmart.org)
- "I appreciate that the president has finally said clearly that we must destroy ISIS and that he outlined some important steps toward that goal - including expanded airstrikes in Iraq and Syria, which I have previously called for." (votesmart.org)
- Concord Monitor "In fact, Ayotte opposes privatization - although she did not make that position known until after she won last week's Republican primary." (www.concordmonitor.com)
- Nashua Telegraph"I do not support privatization of Social Security, but there should be a discussion of all of the options." (www.nashuatelegraph.com)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.