Tom Alciere's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
On The Ballot: Running, Democratic for U.S. Senate (NH) - Sr
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2018.
- In order to balance the budget, do you support an income tax increase on any tax bracket? "No" (votesmart.org)
- In order to balance the budget, do you support reducing defense spending? "Yes" (votesmart.org)
- "Stop spending money on unjust, undeclared wars, which wars make us less safe. I support the Founders' principles of peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none. The United States should not have bases in other countries. The borders of the United States of America are the borders of the United States of America." (votesmart.org)
- "It ain't the job of the federal government to interfere with the creation of jobs. Eliminating zoning restrictions at the state level would produce an abundance of jobs in demolition of older buildings and construction of buildings meeting the modern code. Cutting federal spending and federal taxes will mean more money in the economy." (votesmart.org)
- Do you support federal spending as a means of promoting economic growth? "No" (votesmart.org)
- "I would be in favor of constitutional amendments imposing nationwide bans on public schools and zoning restrictions. I will absolutely vote against federal grants to public schools, and will support efforts to eliminate public schools in the District of Columbia." (votesmart.org)
- "There is nothing in the United States Constitution allowing Congress to involve itself in education, and even if there was, governments cannot acquire authority by manufacturing documents." (votesmart.org)
- Do you support funding for the development of renewable energy (e.g. solar, wind, thermal)? "No" (votesmart.org)
- Do you support the federal regulation of greenhouse gas emissions? "No" (votesmart.org)
- Do you support repealing the 2010 Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare")? "Yes" (votesmart.org)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- "There does not exist a right to regulate immigration. No matter how you interpret or misinterpret the United States Constitution, the United States Government cannot acquire authority by manufacturing documents. The U.S. Border Patrol needs to be disbanded. There is no legitimate function for their primary missions of preventing the entry of innocent persons or the drugs some consumers want. If you don't like immigrants, you should not have to hire them or house them, and if you don't like drugs you don't have to buy any." (votesmart.org)
- "Liberty is an unalienable right and includes the right to enter the United States. The U.S. Government has no right to control immigration. Hitler burned the house down but the United States bureaucrats blocked the fire exit." (votesmart.org)
- "In a free country, each citizen would freely decide what drugs, if any, to use. If somebody does drugs, that does not violate anybodyâs rights and therefore is part of their unalienable right to liberty, a right of inestimable value to them and formidable to tyrants only, a right which no government can justly infringe. Drugs." (www.tomalciere.us)
- Should the United States use military force in order to prevent governments hostile to the U.S. from possessing a nuclear weapon? "No" (votesmart.org)
This candidate has responded to a Political Courage Test in a previous election. As a continued effort to provide the American public with factual information on candidates running for public office, these archived responses are made available here.
|Pro-life||Do you generally support pro-choice or pro-life legislation?|
|Lawmakers must also identify and remove bureaucratic burdens thoughtlessly imposed on mothers in unplanned pregnancies.|
|No||In order to balance the budget, do you support an income tax increase on any tax bracket?|
|Yes||In order to balance the budget, do you support reducing defense spending?|
|Close all United States bases overseas. The borders of the United States are the borders of the United States.|
|No||Do you support the regulation of indirect campaign contributions from corporations and unions?|
|Instead of limiting campaign donations, why don't the voters simply do their own research on all the candidates, such as our campaign websites and, yes, votesmart.org.|
|No||Do you support federal spending as a means of promoting economic growth?|
|No||Do you support lowering corporate taxes as a means of promoting economic growth?|
|There was outrage when Burger King would merge with Tim Horton's and avoid U.S. tax, but taxes are still collected where the cash register is located. That is where the local army, police and fire departments are ready to respond, and that is where to collect taxes.|
|No||Do you support requiring states to adopt federal education standards?|
|There is no authority under the United States Constitution for Congress to regulate education outside the District of Columbia, and no authority to take my money and yours to provide grants to States and local school districts. The President's duty to support education is fulfilled by reciting the alphabet for Sesame Street.|
|No||Do you support government funding for the development of renewable energy (e.g. solar, wind, thermal)?|
|No||Do you support the federal regulation of greenhouse gas emissions?|
|The legitimate functions of government require vehicles, to transport soldiers to their training exercises and to transport prisoners to their trials. Congress has a duty to get a good deal and may buy vehicles that run on renewable energy. A federal contract, along with multiple State contracts, can help inventors to secure loans for developing such vehicles, payment on delivery.|
|No||Do you support the construction of a wall along the Mexican border?|
|No||Do you support requiring immigrants who are unlawfully present to return to their country of origin before they are eligible for citizenship?|
|No||Should the United States use military force in order to prevent governments hostile to the U.S. from possessing a nuclear weapon?|
|No||Do you support increased American intervention in Middle Eastern conflicts beyond air support?|
|The boundaries of the United States of America are the boundaries of the United States of America. The correct way to dethrone those dictators is to invite their victims to move to the United States of America: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" No source credit is necessesary as all voters should recognize the quote.|
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.