Vicky Hartzler's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
Office: U.S. House (MO) - District 4, Republican
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Vicky Hartzler has failed to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2018 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2018.
- "She supports life with legislation, with votes, and with her voice. She was honored to be one ofÂ three featured speakers at the March for Life in 2014 speaking to over one million pro-lifeÂ champions on the National Mall in Washington. She speaks on the House floor in support of lifeÂ and was appointed to the Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives to investigate the fetal babyÂ part procurement industry." (www.vickyhartzler.com)
- "All life is sacred, and we must protect it. Congress cannot stand by as babies who are capable of feeling excruciating pain are forced to suffer." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 0% by Planned Parenthood (votesmart.org)
- Cosponsored and voted in favor of H.R.36 "Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act" (votesmart.org)
- "Congress must work to fix this problem. The 2-year budget agreement passed earlier this year increased the defense spending caps to allow our Nation's military to begin the rebuilding process. Congress took action for fiscal year 2018 by investing in critical military programs, such as increased funding for Navy ship and aircraft depot maintenance, providing an additional 24 F/A-18 Super Hornets to address the Navy's strike fighter shortage, and increased Active Duty end-strength for all the service branches." (votesmart.org)
- "I remain steadfast in fighting for a strong national defense while also seeking fiscal accountability in the vast array of programs run by the Pentagon." (hartzler.house.gov)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- "I have supported legislation to combat this reckless spending spree. Congress needs a firm structure in place to restrict its ability to spend uncontrollably. In addition to co-sponsoring balanced budget amendments, I continue to support and vote for legislation that freezes or cuts funding for federal programs and agencies that have ballooned to unsustainable sizes." (hartzler.house.gov)
- Cosponsored and voted in favor for H.R.22 "Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act" (votesmart.org)
- "This bill strengthens and reforms our transportation program while returning more transportation decisions back to state and local governments, providing them long-term certainty they require to complete betterment and repair projects." (votesmart.org)
- "Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.) today voted for the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act to make permanent or extend a number of tax cuts that allow Americans to keep more of their own money and grow the economy." (votesmart.org)
- "I believe the best education occurs locally through the commitment of parents, local schools, teachers, and the community. Washington does not know what is best for our children. Parents and teachers know best. This premise should be the focus of any bill." (votesmart.org)
- "We do not need to force states into a one size fits all mold.Â We need to reduce the role of the federal government in education.Â Â We must encourage practices that develop independent learners, reward our best teachers, facilitate innovation in education delivery, and do away with policies that hinder their development. Our children deserve it." (hartzler.house.gov)
- "[â¦] I believe we must embrace an 'all-of-the-above' energy policy that includes tried and true sources of energy such as coal, hydro, and nuclear along with alternative energy sources that include wind and solar power." (hartzler.house.gov)
- "Instead of capping our energy resources and limiting energy production here at home, let's aggressively pursue all energy alternatives, including building more nuclear power plants, drilling for oil and gas in coastal waters and ANWR, developing biofuels, using the abundance of clean coal with which we are blessed, and expanding hydro, wind, and solar-powered alternatives." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of S.J.Res.23 "A Joint Resolution Providing for Congressional Disapproval Under Chapter 8 of Title 5, United States Code, of a Rule Submitted by the Environmental Protection Agency Relating to 'Standards of Performance for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from New, Modified, and Reconstructed Stationary Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units' " (votesmart.org)
- "In addition, we need to rein in the regulatory overreach of many federal agencies. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) continues to advance burdensome regulations that threaten our energy independence, stifle our economic recovery, and force employers to expend resources on unnecessary regulations. Many of these regulations are implemented without scientific justification or proper cost-benefit analysis and all too often arbitrarily pick winners and losers." (hartzler.house.gov)
- "When Skelton gave our vote to Pelosi for cap and trade, people across the district couldn't believe it. Ike Skelton's vote for cap-and-trade Ã¢ÂÂ or cap and tax Ã¢ÂÂ is one of the reasons the Missouri Farm Bureau, the state's largest farm group, repudiated Skelton as bad for Missouri agriculture and endorsed Vicky Hartzler for Congress." (votesmart.org)
- "I am an ardent supporter of our constitutional rights including the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the Second Amendment. This right is one of the fundamental principles of our Republic.Â The federal government should take no action to suppress this right or any right.Â Too many times, law-abiding citizens are punished and their rights threatened due to the actions of criminals. When a violent act is committed we should punish the offender and address the cause of the action rather than restricting innocent peopleâs ability to defend themselves." (hartzler.house.gov)
- "Since I was elected to Congress, I have made it a top priority to protect, preserve and defend the ideals held within the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Our founding fathers understood that the right to protects one's self and family is vital to the success of our nation." (votesmart.org)
- "That is why Vicky has voted to repeal this onerous bill. She has helped craft legislation toÂ replace Obamacare with healthcare that Americans want and can afford. She will not stop untilÂ the people she serves stop being harmed by Obamacare and have real choice and quality careÂ they deserve." (www.vickyhartzler.com)
- "Obamacare is hurting Americans. It is causing families to lose coverage they want and forcing them to buy coverage they don't want and can't afford. It has increased the costs of healthcare and caused people to lose jobs or have their hours cut." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of H.R.596 "Repeal of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and Health Care-Related Provisions in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010" (votesmart.org)
- "I will continue working with my colleagues to relieve the American people of this burdensome tax while pushing for real reform that returns power and choice to you, the person who knows best what you and your family needs.Â With the bills I have co-sponsored, every family will have a chance for affordable, accessible healthcare.Â We can do better." (hartzler.house.gov)
- "For decades America has felt the repercussions of a failed, outdated immigration system that has rewarded those who enter this country illegally at the expense of those who have followed the law. These pieces of legislation address illegal immigration where it starts -- at the border -- by allocating funding for a border wall and enhancing security measures that would drastically scale back illegal immigration into the United States." (votesmart.org)
- "A compassionate solution for the illegal immigrant population living and working in the United States can be accomplished without resorting to amnesty. Current illegal immigrants should not receive all the rights and privileges they would have been eligible for had they come legally. They should not be eligible for citizenship. To pardon lawbreakers and reward them with the objective of their crime is inappropriate and will accelerate the flow of illegal immigrants." (hartzler.house.gov)
- "Granting amnesty to those who cross our borders and enter our nation illegally is not the answer to solving the problem of illegal immigration, especially when there are so many people around the globe who wait their turn to apply for visas and pursue legal paths to immigrate to the United States." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of H.R.5759 "Preventing Executive Overreach on Immigration Act of 2014" (votesmart.org)
- "Since legalized recreational marijuana use, in 2016 alone, law enforcement officers in Colorado confiscated 7,116 pounds of marijuana, carried out 252 felony arrests, and made 346 highway interdictions of marijuana headed to 36 different states. #DrugFreeFriday #DrugFreeMO" (twitter.com)
- "Alarming #NorthKorea continues path to nuclear capability-It emphasizes need for this week's bill increasing money to meet threats #Defense" (twitter.com)
- "To that end, I will remain an ardent supporter of Israel, our democratic ally in the Middle East, as regional threats continue to encroach on its liberty. I will also continue pushing for more sanctions on Iran as it continues its march towards nuclear weapons capability, and I will continue to advocate for religious liberties for oppressed and persecuted peoples around the world, as extremists and regimes seek to force radical ideologies upon them." (votesmart.org)
- "Tragic events keep reminding us that we are in a war against terrorism. We do not want to be in this conflict. We did not start it, but we must finish it. Our safety and future depend on defeating the extremists who hate everything that has made our nation the greatest in history." (votesmart.org)
- "Well, we need to be diplomatic, to firsthand, like I said, reaching out to those countries like Turkey and others and encouraging them to put the boots on the ground. And we need to commit the resources that are needed to get this done. And we may need to have more American troop there in advise-and-assist role, to target or provide some close air support." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.