We write to request regular reporting from the Department of the Treasury (Treasury) and the
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on the schedule for making economic impact payments (EIPs) authorized under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.
The Committee on Ways and Means (Committee) sincerely appreciates the hard work of Treasury
and IRS employees during this crisis to ensure that Americans receive the emergency assistance that theywere promised. These employees are working in difficult times, and we are grateful for their dedicated service.
Despite this hard work, we understand that many individuals have not yet received their EIPs.
These individuals are eager to receive financial assistance, and the Committee continues to receive daily questions related to the payment of EIPs.
To ensure that the Committee provides accurate, up-to-date information, we reiterate the
Committee's earlier request for weekly reports on Treasury's payment activity until all payments have been made. We are aware that the IRS sends payment information to Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) weekly, typically on Thursdays, for payments that Americans will receive the following week. Accordingly, the Committee requests a report by 3 p.m. each Friday concerning the payment information sent by the IRS to BFS that week.
For each week, please include the following information:
1. The total number of EIPs and total dollar amount sent to BFS for payment the following
2. The number of EIPs by paper check, the date of mailing, and total dollar amount;
3. The number of EIPs by debit card, the date of mailing, and total dollar amount;
4. The number of EIPs by electronic payment, the date the banks will receive the deposit for
posting in taxpayer accounts, and total dollar amount;
5. For electronic payments, please provide the number by direct deposit or Direct Express
separately, and the total dollar amount for each method;
6. A description of the taxpayers who were covered in the total number of payments sent by the
IRS to BFS that week;
7. The number of payments returned to Treasury, and the total dollar amount of such payments
by payment type, for the week ending the immediate Thursday before the Friday report;
8. The total number of letters mailed out to taxpayers during the week ending the immediate
Thursday before the Friday report; and
9. A running total, from the start of the program, of the number of EIPs issued and the total
dollar amount paid (net of returned amounts), broken out by week and by payment method.
Given that the Committee first requested weekly reports at the end of April, please provide the
requested information by Friday, May 29, 2020 and on a weekly basis until all payments have been made.
Thank you, in advance, for your prompt attention to this matter.