Dear Speaker Pelosi, Majority Leader Hoyer, and Majority Whip Clyburn:
We write to ask that you schedule H.R. 5209 the Counter-Kleptocracy Act for immediate floor consideration.
This bill would respond to Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
Corruption is the lifeblood of the Putin regime and the system he seeks to export. This is precisely what he is doing now by waging a war of aggression against Ukraine and attempting to wipe this democracy off the map so as to replace it with a kleptocracy dependent on his own. We must become deadly serious about exposing the blood money that fuels Putin's wars and repression. The Counter-Kleptocracy Act is the answer.
The Counter-Kleptocracy Act is a collection of counter-corruption bills that includes:
* The Foreign Corruption Accountability Act -- Authorizes visa bans on foreign persons who use state
power to engage in acts of corruption against any private persons and publicly names them.
* The Foreign Extortion Prevention Act -- Criminalizes bribery demands by foreign officials.
* The Golden Visa Accountability Act -- Creates a US-led visa denials database to prevent investor visas
being abused by foreign corrupt officials for the purpose of moving around the world freely and covertly
and enjoying ill-gotten gains.
* The Justice for Victims of Kleptocracy Act -- Creates a public DOJ website listing the amount of money
"stolen from the people" each country (e.g. the Russian people or the Ukrainian people) and "recovered
by the United States."
* The Revealing and Explaining Visa Exclusions for Accountability and Legitimacy Act (REVEAL) Act
-- Enables the executive branch to reveal the names of human rights abusers and kleptocrats who have
been banned under Immigration and Nationality Act section 212(a)(3)(c) for "potentially serious adverse
foreign policy consequences," a major provision for banning bad actors.
* Combating Global Corruption Act -- Creates a country-by-country tiered reporting requirement based on
compliance with anti-corruption norms and commitments. Those countries in the lowest tier will have
their leadership considered for Global Magnitsky sanctions.
Thank you for your consideration.