See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Infant Mortality Pilot Programs
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that authorizes the appropriation of $50 million for fiscal year 2010-2011 through fiscal year 2014-2015 ($10 million for each fiscal year) to award grants to create and implement infant mortality pilot programs.
- Authorizes the Secretary of Health and Human Services to award grants to state, county, city, territorial, or tribal health departments to create and implement infant mortality pilot programs (Sec. 2).
- Requires the Secretary, when awarding grants, to give preference to the 15 counties or groups of counties with the highest infant mortality rates in the United States in the last 3 years (Sec. 2).
- Authorizes infant mortality pilot programs do the following with grants awarded by this Act (Sec. 2):
- Develop a plan that identifies the needs of the community;
- Provide outreach to "at-risk mothers";
- Develop and implement systems for improved access, utilization, and quality of services to promote healthy pregnancies, full-term births, and healthy infancies;
- Establish a rural outreach program;
- Establish a regional public education campaign to prevent pre-term births and educate the public on infant mortality; and
- Provide for any other activities, programs, and strategies identified by the community plan.
- Requires each entity that receives a grant to submit a report to the Secretary of Health and Human Services within 1 year of receiving the grant detailing the infant mortality program, including the methodology of, and outcomes and statistics, from the program (Sec. 2).