See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Seniors Protection Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would provide a one-time, $250 payment to recipients of Social Security and other Federal benefits, in the event that no cost-of-living adjustment is available in 2011.
More Info About this Vote
- Requires the Secretary of the Treasury to disburse a $250 payment to each individual entitled to Federal benefits if no cost-of-living increase takes effect by the end of December, 2010 (Sec. 2).
- Specifies that eligibility for the $250 payment is limited to those individuals who were entitled to any of the following in October, November, or December of 2010 (Sec. 2):
- Social Security;
- Railroad Retirement benefits;
- Veterans benefits; or
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Authorizes payment only to those individuals who reside in the following locations (Sec. 2):
- 1 of the 50 states;
- The District of Columbia;
- Puerto Rico;
- The United States Virgin Islands;
- American Samoa;
- Northern Mariana Islands; and
- Locations with a foreign or domestic Army Post Office, Fleet Post Office or Diplomatic Post Office address.
- Specifies that each individual shall receive only a single $250 payment, regardless of whether the individual is eligible for more than 1 benefit or cash payment under any Federal program (Sec. 2).
- Requires the Commissioner of Social Security, the Railroad Retirement Board, and the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to identify individuals who are eligible for the $250 payment, and to provide the information needed to disburse the payments to the Secretary of the Treasury (Sec. 2).
- Prohibits the Internal Revenue Service from regarding the $250 payment as gross income (Sec. 2).
- Prohibits the $250 payment from being included as income, or as a resource, when determining eligibility for benefits under any Federal, State, or local program financed by Federal funds (Sec. 2).
- Exempts from eligibility any individual whose date of death occurs prior to the date the payment is received or direct-deposited into the individual's account (Sec. 2).
- Requires the Secretary of the Treasury to begin disbursing payments at the earliest possible date in 2011, but before April 1, 2011 (Sec. 2).
- Prohibits the disbursement of the $250 payments after December 31, 2011 (Sec. 2).
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.