See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Authorizes Limited Use of US Armed Forces in Libya
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a joint resolution that authorizes the limited use of the United States military in Libya for a period of 1 year.
- Specifies that the authorization does not support the presence of American military members or units on the ground in Libya, subject to the following exceptions (Sec. 2):
- If the presence is limited to the "immediate personal defense" of American government officials; or
- If the presence is limited to rescuing members of NATO forces from "imminent danger".
- Requires the President to consult with Congress and to provide reports and briefings regarding information including, but not limited to, the following (Sec. 3):
- Descriptions of United States national security interests in Libya;
- A statement of United States policy objectives in Libya, and a detailed plan to achieve them;
- Assessments of potential successor governments in Libya; and
- An explanation of the President's legal and constitutional rationale as to how the military operations in Libya conform to the War Powers Resolution.