See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Prohibits Paid Signature-Gatherers
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that prohibits compensation for signatures obtained on a state or local initiative, referendum, or recall petition that is based upon the number of signatures gathered.
- Specifies the following punishments for violation of this bill (Sec. 1):
- If the person in violation is a payer, then such a misdemeanor of up to either a $25,000 fine, imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed 1 year imprisonment, or both; or
- If the person in violation is a payee, then such a misdemeanor of up to either a $1,000 fine, imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed 6 months, or both.
- Exempts individuals or organizations paying for or being paid for collecting signatures if the compensation is not based directly or indirectly on the number of signatures obtained (Sec. 1).
- Specifies that no reimbursement to local government is required from the State of California because of this legislation (Sec. 2).