See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Authorizes Import of FDA-Approved Drugs from Canada
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to S 3187 that authorizes individuals to import FDA-approved prescription drugs from approved Canadian pharmacies.
- Authorizes individuals to import prescription drugs into the United States from approved Canadian pharmacies if the pharmacies comply with the following regulations:
- The pharmacy uses a valid prescription that is issued by a practicing, licensed physician in the United States;
- THe pharmacy purchases a prescription drug that has the same active ingredient or ingredients, route of administration, dosage form, and strength as a prescription drug approved by the FDA;
- The pharmacy purchases the prescription drug for personal use only;
- The pharmacy purchases a maximum 90-day supply of the prescription drug; and
- None of these prescription drugs may be prohibited controlled substances.
- Defines “approved Canadian pharmacy” as a pharmacy that complies with certain standards that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The pharmacy is located and licensed to operate in Canada;
- The pharmacy has existed for 5 years prior to this bill's enactment;
- The pharmacy operates according to Canadian pharmacy standards and regulations;
- The pharmacy conducts or participates in quality assurance programs;
- The pharmacy establishes a process for resolving grievances; and
- The pharmacy does not resell products from online pharmacies located outside Canada to customers in the United States.
- Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to establish regulations that authorizes individuals to import a prescription drug from Canada.
- Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to publish a list of approved Canadian pharmacies on the Food and Drug Administration Web site.
More Info About this Vote
NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS