See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Transportation Empowerment Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to HR 5021 that amends federal gas tax laws.
- Reduces the gas tax to the following rates:
- $0.18 per gallon from October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016;
- $0.10 per gallon from October 1, 2016 to September 30, 2017;
- $0.06 per gallon from October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018;
- $0.05 per gallon from October 1, 2018 to September 30, 2019; and
- $0.04 per gallon after September 30, 2019.
- Authorizes a state to determine if the amount appropriated to certain programs under this act is in excess, and to use excess funds for any surface transportation purpose, including mass transit and rail.
- Prohibits a highway construction or improvement project from being considered a federal highway construction project before a state expends federal funds for constructing the project.
- Prohibits a highway construction or improvement project from being considered a federal highway construction or improvement project if a state reimburses the federal government for the amount expended on the highway project.
- Prohibits any reporting requirement on the use of federal funds for highway projects by a public-private partnership on or after October 1, 2016.