See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Improving Coal Combustion Residuals Regulations Act of 2016
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that amends requirements for the proper disposal of coal combustion residuals by authorizing a state to establish a coal combustion residual permit program.
- Authorizes a state to adopt, influence, and enforce a coal combustion residual (CCR) permit program for the disposal of CCRs (Sec. 2).
- Requires a certification for a CCR permit program to contain certain information including, but not limited to, the following information (Sec. 2):
- Identification of the lead state implementing agency and any other state agencies involved with implementation of the program;
- A description of state processes including, but not limited to, the process of inspection for program compliance, the process of enforcement for the requirements of the program, and the process for public participation; and
- Copies of state statutes and regulations that allow for the implementation of such a program.
- Requires the implementing agency of a CCR permit program to meet certain requirements including, but not limited to, the following requirements (Sec. 2):
- Requires owners or operators of structures to apply for and obtain permits incorporating the applicable provisions of the program;
- Ensures that information and documents regarding permit determinations, monitoring and other relevant data are available for public access, including on the internet; and
- Conducts monitoring or testing of applicable structures to ensure program compliance.
- Authorizs an implementing agency to allow the owner or operator of an existing structure that is an unlined surface impoundment (Sec. 2):
- To continue to operate until 102 months after the effective date of this provision; and
- To continue to operate after such date as long as the unlined surface impoundment meets the established groundwater protection standard and any other applicable requirements.
- Requires the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to implement a CCR permit program for a state in the following circumstances (Sec. 2):
- The Governor of the state notifies the Administrator that the state will not adopt and implement a permit program;
- The state has received a notice of a permit program’s noncompliance with requirements and the Administrator determines, after providing a 30-day period for notice and public comment, that the state had failed to remedy any deficiencies; or
- The state informs the Administrator in writing that the state no longer implements such a permit program.
- Specifies that the Administrator shall, with respect to the regulation of CCRs under this bill, defer to the states (Sec. 2).