See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Rescinds Funds from Planned Parenthood
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote on a motion to invoke cloture on an amendment to H J Res 61 that rescinds funds from Planned Parenthood for 1 year.
More Info About this Vote
- Rescinds funds from Planned Parenthood and its clinics and affiliates for 1 year, unless Planned Parenthood certifies that it will not perform or fund abortions during that year (Sec. 153).
- Specifies that the provisions of this bill do not apply to an abortion in the following circumstances (Sec. 153):
- The pregnancy is the result of rape or incest; or
- The woman is in danger of death, as certified by a physician.
- Appropriates funds rescinded from Planned Parenthood to eligible community health center programs (Sec. 153).
NOTE: INVOKING CLOTURE REQUIRES A 3/5 MAJORITY OF THE SENATE. IT IS NOT A VOTE ON THE PASSAGE OF THE PIECE OF LEGISLATION, BUT LIMITS FURTHER DEBATE TO 30 HOURS. CLOTURE IS TYPICALLY USED TO END A FILIBUSTER. A FAILED CLOTURE VOTE OFTEN PREVENTS THE LEGISLATION FROM EVER COMING TO A VOTE.