See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Uruguay Round Agreements Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill approving of agreements made at the Uruguay Round of multilateral trade negotiations.
- Approves the replacement of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) with the World Trade Organization (WTO) beginning January 1, 1995.
- Prohibits certain provisions in the agreement from taking effect if it is not consistent with U.S. law.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) should oppose any country's admission for membership into the WTO if that country supports boycotting another country.
- Encourages the President to develop an African trade and development policy.
- Requires the Commodity Credit Corporation to conduct an export enhancement program to promote the sale of agricultural products at competitive prices in the world market.
- Authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture to prohibit or restrict the importation of livestock that are infected with or exposed to any disease into the U.S. in order to prevent the spread of disease in the country.
- Amends copyright laws, the Trademark Act of 1946 and Federal patent laws, and imposes criminal penalties for those that profit or gain commercial advantage from violating said laws.
- Requires a certain USTR report on foreign trade barriers to include a section on foreign anticompetitive practices that adversely affect the export of U.S. goods and services.