See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Appropriations bill FY96, Omnibus
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report that appropriates $395.87 billion to federal departments such as the Departments of Commerce, State, Interior, Health and Human Services, and Veterans Affairs, and regulates how the funds are spent.
- Bans the use of appropriated funds to transport teachers or students to overcome racial imbalance in any school or to carry out a racial desegregation plan.
- Prohibits the use of appropriated funds to prevent voluntary prayer or meditation in public schools.
- Bans the use of funds for new United Nations peacekeeping missions.
- Revises Federal criminal code provisions regarding remedies for prison conditions.
- Appropriates funds for a school voucher program in the District of Columbia.
- Prohibits the use of appropriated funds to assist any State or Federal program when it discriminates against any health care entity that refuses to undergo training in the performance of abortions.
- Allows the import of a drug, food, or food additive if it is added to a product that will be exported.
- Prohibits the use of funds to implement or enforce any system of registration of unmarried couples living together, whether they are homosexual, lesbian, or heterosexual.
- Repeals the portion of the 1996 Defense Authorization bill which requires the mandatory discharge or immediate retirement of an HIV-positive member of the armed forces.
- Department of Health and Human Services:
- $81.25 billion for Medicaid grants to states.
- $63.31 billion for health care trusts.
- Department of Veterans Affairs:
- $18.33 billion for compensation and pension.
- $16.88 billion for the Veteran's Health Administration.
- Department of Justice:
- $2.92 billion to the Federal Prison System.
- $2.51 billion to the FBI.
- $1.74 billion to the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- Department of Education:
- $7.23 billion for education for the disadvantaged.
- $6.31 billion for student financial assistance.
- $3.25 billion for special education.
- Department of Housing and Urban Development:
- $9.82 billion for annual contributions for assisted housing.
- $4.6 billion for community planning and development grants.
- Department of the Interior:
- $1.57 billion to the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- $1.35 billion to the National Park Service.
- $27.82 billion for the Supplemental Security program.
- $13.9 billion to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- $6.22 billion to the District of Columbia.
- $5.21 billion to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).