See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: China Political Freedom bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill to monitor the state of human rights within the People's Republic of China.
- Amends the previous resolution concerning the People's Republic of China's nuclear policy, such that no license may be issued for the export or transfer of any nuclear material facilities or components.
- Directs the Secretary of State to request the immediate release of political prisoners in Tibet.
- Instructs the Secretary of State to call on the People's Republic of China begin serious talks with the Dalai Lama on the future of Tibet.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that a Commission on Security and Cooperation in Asia should be established.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that Hong Kong should be free to continue to elect their legislative representatives.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that the People's Republic of China's should end its practice of harvesting organs from executed prisoners for profit.
- $5 million for the National Endowment for Democracy in fiscal years 1998 and 1999 to promote "democracy, civil society, and the development of the rule of law in China."
- $2.2 million for fiscal years 1998 and 1999 to provide more personnel in the United States embassies and consulates within the People's Republic of China.