See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Nuclear Waste Disposal bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would revise the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982.
- Establishes the Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management within the Department of Energy.
- Requires the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to set safety guidelines for handling of wastes.
- Authorizes the Department of Energy to build a temporary storage facility for the nation's nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain.
- Designates Yucca Mountain a permanent radioactive waste dump.
Calls for the President :
- To designate a site for an interim storage facility if the current Yucca Mountain site is deemed unsustainable.
- To exempt the Hanford Nuclear Reservation, Savannah River, and the Oak Ridge sites from consideration as interm storage facilities.
Calls for the Secretary of Energy:
- To develop and operate a management system for the storage and disposal of spent nuclear fuel and radioactive waste.
- To store sent nuclear fuel and radioactive waste in an interim storage facility no later than 18 months after an interim disposal site has been designated.
- To use components and manufactured in the U.S. to transport nuclear wastes and incorporate private sector participation in implementing the Act.
- To mandate public education and training for jurisdictions where waste materials will be transported.
- To make grants to affected Indian tribes or local governments to monitor and review the impact of the Yucca Mountain site.